Solved

Can someone explain when to use query builder Vs. power lists?

• 2 October 2019
  • 4 replies

I am relatively new to Gainsight Journey Orchestrator and I am working on educating myself in an effort to gear up for building out a tech touch program. Something I am struggling to find an answer to is when to use a Power List vs when to use a Query to send email outreaches/programs.

Thank you,

icon

Best answer by john_apple 2 October 2019, 21:14

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Nicholas,

Powerlists are an older feature that have more limited capabilities when compared with bionic queries. They're provided as an option largely for backward compatibility, but any new programs should use bionic queries for their audience selection list generation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
Query builder allows you to pull in data from multiple objects and merge into one dataset. It also allows for addtional calcualtions and grouping of data. For instance, if you need to send to contacts that completed an onboarding case but didn't purchase additional services - you would need data from Contact, Assets or Opportunities, and Cases (SFDC objects).

Powerlists are fine if you have basic dataset that doesn't require data from unlinked objects and doesn't require additional calculations or unique filtering.

Badge +1
Hi Nicholas,

I like using both - bionic queries are fantastic for combining different datasets, transforming/pivoting the data etc however, sometimes, all you need is just a simple list for specific user group e.g. all EMEA customers, all new customers etc - especially if JO is used by someone who may not know how to work with bionic rules. In our org, I have a guy from Support team helping with Journey Orchestrator comms - he is not familiar with the data structure/bionic rules so I don’t want him messing things up - pointing him to a library of powerlists is a simple, pain-free way to have others send out customer communication quickly & effectively.

Hope this helps

Katerina

Is there any functionality difference when it comes to adding new contacts that fit the desired criteria to a program?