Solved

Allow more flexibility in Email Chain Program

• 30 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi, a couple suggestions:

1. Allow an outreach to end after a positive result following a conditional wait. Right now, you can only end an outreach following a "negative" result. Use case: I want the outreach to end immediately following the participant clicking on a link, but if they don't click a link, I want them to get an email, then end the outreach. Because I can't end the outreach following a "positive" event, the only viable option is to create a dummy email, then end the outreach.

2. Allow an email chain program to start with a CTA rather than an email. I've had this request from multiple customers who don't necessarily want programs to always start with an email, yet that's what we force.

icon

Best answer by ashish_ahuja 31 July 2019, 13:11

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Spencer, can you share a bit more detail on the use case for the second topic you brought up where an email chain starts with a CTA?

Hi @spencer_engel, I understand the your requirements and would like to bring these points to your notice.

1.) The ability to start an email chain model with CTA is already present in the product for a long time now. The first step by default is displayed as an Email Step but it can very well be deleted and be replaced with a CTA step while configuring the program.

2.) The use case to end an outreach immediately is valid, but in most cases when we are looking to check a condition using a conditional wait, we would want to act on the information with some action; which is why only actions are displayed on the UI. We would definetely look into allowing the end step if necessary.

Nevertheless, as a workaround, if you want you could invert the conditions in the conditional wait to go in the negative path if the link is clicked and end outreach, and send them in positive flow if the email is not clicked within a certain amount of time and move the email to the positive flow and end.

Thanks for sharing the feedback on this. We assure you to consider these helpful feedback and use cases.

Hope this helps.

Badge
It would be useful is we could start an email chain with a conditional wait to tailor the first mailing. We came across such needs when we needed to build a program for which the first email needed to vary based on some conditions that could not be met through a variant. For instance, an email which header information (like sender info, or copied participants) needed to vary based on some conditions. Without that capability, we had to either plan a bogus mailing or split the program into multiple ones.

Ashish,

In theory you are right about the potential workaround, but in practice with the existing conditional wait functionality it will not work for the 'link is clicked' option.

If I invert it to check in the conditional wait, 'Link is not clicked' and have a time period based on it, the condition will default to true, because as soon as the email is opened, technically the link is not clicked, and it will pass through in the positive direction regardless.

With conditonal waits as soon as the condition is met it passes through the gate. Only if the time expires while not completing the condition will it go into the negative path. Unless I am mistaken on its functionality.

-Steven

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Thanks, Ashish. You are right about being able to start with a CTA. I think I must've tested this in a pretty out-of-date org, so my apologies.

I do agree with Steven's feedback though about conditional wait use case.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

It would be useful is we could start an email chain with a conditional wait to tailor the first mailing. We came across such needs when we needed to build a program for which the first email needed to vary based on some conditions that could not be met through a variant. For instance, an email which header information (like sender info, or copied participants) needed to vary based on some conditions. Without that capability, we had to either plan a bogus mailing or split the program into multiple ones.

+1000

Not allowing for changes to the header by variant means I’m having to duplicate programs for audiences that could normally flow into one Program, but because there is no conditional wait step option at the start and I can’t vary the subject line, I have to run them separately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

+1000

Not allowing for changes to the header by variant means I’m having to duplicate programs for audiences that could normally flow into one Program, but because there is no conditional wait step option at the start and I can’t vary the subject line, I have to run them separately.

Running into this now.  I’m having to make multiple templates and steps in the Outreach because I can’t tailor the header information per variant.  Any updates or suggestions for workarounds?