Question

Allow for null email fields in a CC for a program

• 17 February 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Right now, mapped email fields can’t be null and fail the entire participant. I was working with a customer with a use case where they wanted to cc an email that would sometimes be null. 

I think its a good idea to fail participants if there is a null mapped email especially if its for the sender or recipient but the above is one edge case where I could see an enhancement for this scenario. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

It would definitely save me some work if this were possible.  Our use case - some accounts have CSMs and AMs assigned and some just have AMs.  When we send emails to the customer, they can come from the AM, and we’d like to CC the CSM in the cases where there is one.  Today, I have to build two separate queries - one for accounts with a CSM and one for accounts without to get around this.  Would be great if I could just build one, and use the CSM if it exists in the CC field.

Userlevel 4

Hello @alex_legay  @heather_hansen 
We will look into this.

Badge +1

+1 to this. We have a situation where an onboarding email needs to be sent to one primary contact but we also wanted to give an option to add more onboarding contacts that can be cc’ed. Because the mapped additional onboarding contact couldn’t be null, we had to drop this idea. I can see many use cases where this would be valuable. 

@chethana Could we convert this into an idea so we can vote? Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Curious where this stands with new dynamic programs. In theory, @heather_hansen’s workaround (below) should work in the new dynamic JO to combine those two programs into one by using an evaluate step to check whether the CSM is null, and send the appropriate version, but the best solution would be if we could have that logic within sender/reply-to/cc/copy fields, so we didn’t need different templates or programs to account for null fields (if CSM not null, CC, else, just send).

Some accounts have CSMs and AMs assigned and some just have AMs.  When we send emails to the customer, they can come from the AM, and we’d like to CC the CSM in the cases where there is one.  Today, I have to build two separate queries - one for accounts with a CSM and one for accounts without to get around this.  Would be great if I could just build one, and use the CSM if it exists in the CC field.