Solved

Ideas on how to pull data from User into Customer Info?

• 13 February 2017
  • 12 replies

Hello Guys,

Probably someone has already tried this, any help is appreciated :)

Basicaly we want to send EBR invitations with Copilot customized with a URL to the CSM Agenda (i.e. Youcanbook.me or similar).

What I've already done:

Step 1.1 - Created a new field called "Agenda URL" in SFDC User object.

Step 1.2 - Created a new field called "Agenda URL CSM" in SFDC Customer Info object.

Step 2 - CSMs will manually update the agenda url User field inside Salesforce.

Step 3 - I want to pull this field into Customer Info object.

PROBLEM: 

Using rules engine I can't match User IDs, only Account IDs. I would need to match User IDs in order to mass update all Customers with the Agenda URL of its respective CSM.

Has anyone already accomplished something similar? 

Thanks!

Bruno
icon

Best answer by seth 14 February 2017, 16:51

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Bruno,

I think you'll want to create a Data Space that begins with CustomerInfo, then uses CustomerInfo's Account ID field to look up to the Account object, and then uses Account's CSM ID field to look up to the User object.

To the Data Space, add the ID fields and custom fields from the Account and User objects, along with any fields that you would want to filter on in the Rule. If you don't need any information from CustomerInfo, you could just do a Data Space based on Account, instead of based on Customer Info.

Then create a Rule based on that Data Space. Use a 'Load to Customers' Action to take that field from the User object and inject it into the CustomerInfo.

Hope that makes sense!
Hi Seth,

Great solution! Thanks for sharing :)

However I'm stuck in the last part of it: I'm missing some step here to accomplish the task:

Step 1: created the data space.

Step 2: created the rule setup.

Step 3: created the load action.

Step 4: tested it successfully.

However after running the rule for real nothing has changed.

I'm sure I'm missing something here :)

Any idea?

Thanks Seth!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hmm, a dastardly problem...

In your Data Space, you've given three ID fields identical names ("Id"). Are you certain that you pulled the right ID into the Rule Setup? Maybe the "Id" field shown in 'Preview Results' is actually User ID or CustomerInfo ID, whereas in the Rule Action you've mapped "Id" to Account ID.

You can rename those "Id" fields in the Data Space to make them more descriptive, and then confirm that you've pulled Account ID into the Rule Setup.

Lemme know if I guessed right!
Hi Seth!

Actually it's the Account ID:

There's a tooltip on mouseover.

That's really strange. Any clues? Should I consider it a bug and send it to support?

Cheers,

Bruno
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Drats! I bet it something small I'm just not thinking of, but yeah, I think that you've got the right [i]process and the next step would be to ask Support.
Okey, I'll do it then, thanks :)

If anyone reading the topic think in a solution, please share :)

Cheers,

Bruno
Badge
Are you looking to just bring that field from the standard User object in SFDC onto the customer info object?

As I understand it.

-CSMs are filling in their agenda url on their own user records.

-You want to load this agenda url onto the customer info

You can't do this through a rule. The issue you are running into is that you are trying to load to a customer info record which requires an account id. However, the User object does not have an account id. A user can be related to multiple accounts.

However, I there is a solution and this one is probably more streamlined as you won't have to wait for a rule to run.

-On the customer info objet create a formula field.

-In that formula field you will go through the CSM user lookup field, whether it is on customer info or Account mine was on Account, and grab the field you want.

If you are looking to have it in an actual URL field then you will have to build a URL field and then build another rule that sources the customer info and grabs the formula field and pushes it to the URL 

Screenshots below.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Wayne,

Doesn't a Data Space (that uses CSM to provide the User-to-Account lookup) negate the need for a formula field?
Badge
Are you looking to just bring that field from the standard User object in SFDC onto the customer info object?

As I understand it.

-CSMs are filling in their agenda url on their own user records.

-You want to load this agenda url onto the customer info

You can't do this through a rule. The issue you are running into is that you are trying to load to a customer info record which requires an account id. However, the User object does not have an account id. A user can be related to multiple accounts.

However, I there is a solution and this one is probably more streamlined as you won't have to wait for a rule to run.

-On the customer info objet create a formula field.<

-In that formula field you will go through the CSM user lookup field, whether it is on customer info or Account mine was on Account, and grab the field you want.

**If you are looking to have it in an actual URL field then you will have to build a URL field and then build a rule that sources the customer info and grabs the formula field and pushes it to the URL field.

Screenshots below.

Badge
If you build it off the customer info then yes. 

It's basically two ways to skin a cat.

Dataspace means you would build it sourcing the customer info object and then dragging in fields, the account id from the customer info object and the agenda url from the user object. Then do a load to customer info with that data space.

But, you are already creating one field on the customer info and the data space route means you would have to wait for the rule to run instead of it being updated live.
Badge
You can adjust the 'id' labels in the Data Space so you can more easily tell them apart.
Hi Wayne,

That's really interesting, I will try. If it works I'll let you know ;)

Thanks,

Bruno