Percentage formula field in Report Builder

Related products: None

We seem to constantly need new rules to create new percentage fields. It would be wonderful if we could do so in report builder where we already pull in the relevant numerator and denominator fields (though I suppose there would be some additional grouping needed.)

You can add formulas including basic numerical calculations (A/B * 100) as Show Fields: https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Reports_and_Dashboards/Admin_Guides/Formula_Fields_in_Reporting#Overview

You can add formulas including basic numerical calculations (A/B * 100) as Show Fields: https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Reports_and_Dashboards/Admin_Guides/Formula_Fields_in_Reporting#Overview

This helps to find the numbers, but we can’t add the % sign to the report or chart which confuses users., I would prefer showing that number is a % rather than just a number.

@t.uzel  Would you prefer to add a % suffix to a number (visually on a report) or would you prefer converting a field from number data type to percentage data type? 

@john_apple can you provide an example of a basic numerical calculation? I don’t see it in the documentation as to what specific option I would use. @rakesh I think I would prefer the actual conversion to a percentage data type. Wouldn’t that affect the use of the data outside of Gainsight (Excel, etc.) if exported via CSV and ingested elsewhere?

@ana_g

Something like this (fields are just examples but could be any number field in your data):

As stated above, it would not output a field with % sign but rather the value e.g. 98.2 instead of 98.2%.

Yes, probably some users might be confused. Your other option would be to set up a custom field as percentage type on the object in Data Management and add the calculation there. It would be a new field on the object that could be used in reporting without having to create a formula field each time.

@t.uzel  Would you prefer to add a % suffix to a number (visually on a report) or would you prefer converting a field from number data type to percentage data type? 

I would prefer to add a % suffix to a number visually on report/chart and not necessarily convert the data type.

Hi Tugrul.

You can create a Percentage field in MDA Object itself with a “Percentage” data type. That will show you the result with the % sign.

Hi Tugrul.

You can create a Percentage field in MDA Object itself with a “Percentage” data type. That will show you the result with the % sign.

If we have a limited, specific use for the % field (one or two reports) vs. multiple uses, it seems that creating new object fields would create more “noise” on the object. It’s another field that would appear in every report, rule, etc. that isn’t needed. 

Hi Dave.

Agreed with your use case. Just for one or two reports creating new fields in the Object will be noise. But if you definitely need the % sign now, that is the option to follow. 

But definitely, our product team will address this and will come up with an enhancement.

Thanks.

+1, is this still planned? 

I’d love to have a way of adding a % suffix or other visual cue onto the KPI widget in horizon analytics so we can easily show when these are presenting % values

Another vote for this! Should be an option in the chart editor.

Has anyone found a good trick for this in reports?

@Intuitive_Geneva I have a related idea for allowing for percentages to be created off of aggregated fields natively in report builder. Unfortunately I have not found a way to accomplish this in Gainsight reporting today. Normally I have to create a field.