2018 New Gainsight Community post migration FAQs

• 25 October 2018
  • 42 replies

Userlevel 6

We’re excited to announce the Gainsight Community is moved to a new platform. All of your posts, comments, points, and profile information are migrated to the new platform. The only change you need to make is to re-set your password. You’ll still access the Community at https://community.gainsight.com.

In general, the user experience will look very similar, with some helpful new additions. On the new platform you’ll be able to:

- Filter posts by Authors in the refine search results options
- Follow other Community members to view their latest activity
- Create a private post for Gainsight Community Admins to view/reply
- Tag (@mention) other Community members on a post to facilitate conversation (Note: this may not be available on 10/23, but is definitely coming soon!)
- Like or Follow any post. There are no “me too” or “vote” options in the new system. The me too and voting data from our old platform appears as “likes” in the new system.
- Mark responses to your own posts as helpful, to acknowledge the best answers or solutions

Since passwords are encrypted, we’re unable to migrate this data to the new site. After logging in, you’ll be presented with a few optional questions that will display on your public profile page. Then you can begin using the new and improved Community!

Community Migration FAQs

Q: Why do I have to change my password on the new Community site?
A: Since passwords are encrypted, we can’t migrate this data to the new platform. Please update your password after the new site is live.

Q: Will all of my posts and points be migrated to the new Community site?
A: Yes, all of the posts, comments, status, and points earned will be migrated to the new site.

Q: Is the URL for the Community changing?
A: No. You will still access the Community at https://community.gainsight.com

Q: Why are you switching Community platforms?
A: We are excited to a switch to a new platform with greater reporting, moderation, and social capabilities, and one that the vendor will continue to invest in making improvements to.

Q: Who should I contact if I have Community login problems, or any other Community feedback?
A: Email community@gainsight.com

Q: Can I update or change my email address (login) when I update my password?
A: After you login, you can change your email address in your profile page.

Q: Can I update my alternate email address?
A: You can enter a secondary or alternate email address as part of the registration process. Also, when existing users sign into the new Community for the first time, you will be presented with a list of questions that includes your alternate email address.

Q: What are the key differences in end user functionality between the old and new Gainsight Community platforms?
A:
- You can @mention other users in your post or comments (coming soon)
- For all post types, you can Like or Follow the posts. There are no “me too” or “vote” options in the new system. The me too and voting data from our old platform appears as “likes” in the new system.
- You can mark a response to your own post as helpful.
- You can send a private message to the Community Admins.
- You can Follow other Community members to view their latest activity.
- You can filter posts by Authors in the refine search results options

Q: How are points and badges awarded? Are there any changes from the old system?
A: Points are awarded for the same activities as in the past. We’re introducing a new badge system which allows us to acknowledge members for earning points and reaching new levels. You will see the new badges next to your name and on your profile. Click here (coming soon) for details on the points and badge system.

Q: Are some Community links broken?
A: Although you can still access Community at https://community.gainsight.com, the underlying structure has changed somewhat. This means that on some Community posts, you will encounter hyperlinks that are broken. For example, sometimes members will refer to another Community post using a hyperlink within a post. These links won’t work, and we’ll need to update them manually as we encounter them.

Q: When will the @mention capability be available?
A: Before the end of the year!

Q: Why don’t I see any results when I use the Answer Type filter for Accepted or Official?
A: These answer type options were not available in our old Community, and we were unable to apply meaningful criteria in the back-end that would apply these answer types to existing post comments. We may do some manual review after the go-live to mark relevant comments as official. Moving forward, as users mark responses as “accepted” or Admins mark responses as “official”, there will be matching results for these filters.

Q: Why am I receiving fewer email notifications from Community than in the past?
A: Users will only receive notifications for NEW POSTS in the Topics you follow. However, if you follow a POST, you will receive notifications for ALL comments and replies. You are also automatically following any post that you create.

Q: I am a user in an internal/private Topic, but sometimes I can't view the Topic or posts under that Topic.
A: Most likely you've been signed out of the Community, and that's why you can't view the internal Topic or post. We're working with the vendor to try and extend the session expiration period, but in the meantime, please confirm you're logged in.

Q: How come email notifications don't contain the Post title in their Subject line? This causes threading problems in email clients like Gmail.
A: This is an enhancement request that should be coming soon!

42 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I was at table 2 also ;-)

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
When I post to community, my feed mentions that I followed my own post. This seems kinda redundant and might clutter the activity feed. Is there a way to remove or make private at least? Maybe I only see it, not sure if other users visiting my feed might.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
The session expiration period was extended to 2 days, so hopefully this makes things easier on everyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I don't appear to be getting any notifications on topics to which I subscribe since the new community launched. I get replies to posts I authored or liked, however.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for the feedback, Jeff. We suspected a problem, and a few people have confirmed it today. I've reported the issue as critical!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Not sure if it's just me but the overall site loading behaves oddly for me.

1. When I click into a new post, it loads all of the replies from the last post I looked at. Refreshing the browser clears it but it's happening on almost all threads I click into.

2. When trying to catch up on recent community activity, I'll click through several pages of threads. But clicking Back from a post returns me to the first page (homepage) every time and if I don't know what number page I was on previously, I have to click through multiple pages. From now on I'll try to click Open in new tab for any post I want to read but not an ideal experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for sharing your feedback and experience, Kelly! I'll pass this along to our vendor to investigate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Can the "Topics" page in the Community include ALL topics at once?

Currently, the Topics page

1. Requires a scroll to get to the bottom of the homepage.
  2. Acts unexpectedly, because when I click "View All Topics", I actually only get the first 9 topics, which causes the Topics to be spread over 4 pages.
Because Topics are essentially my "Table of Contents" or my primary navigation mechanism for fast access to a section/topic, this nav mechanism adds a lot of click friction.

(And maybe this is just me, but more than once, I've actually clicked on the header image with the planets orbiting a Gainsight laptop thinking those planets were actually quick links to topics.)

I would consider dropping that header altogether and placing all topics in one place, much like https://support.gainsight.com has done. Nav on GainsightGo is much faster than Gainsight Community.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Matthew, Thanks for the feedback! We've also asked our vendor for a quick link to View All Topics.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Kelly,

We're having trouble replicating what you described in #2 above. Can you possibly record what's happening and share a video with us to help with troubleshooting?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
I used to get about 5-10 Community email notifications a day. Since switching vendors, I think I've gotten 1-2 email notifications per week. Any idea what's going on with that? I just checked, and I'm still following all the same topics I was before.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Yes, unfortunately, there's a bug with notifications. You should receive an email any time a new post is created in a Topic you follow, but they're not going out right now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@Lila - See here. In the first example I am clicking into a post on the 4th page, clicking back brings me to page 1. The second example I am clicking a post on the third page and again, return to page 1 upon clicking back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks very much, Kelly! I've shared your recording with our vendor for further troubleshooting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Several issues have recently been addressed on the Community, but please let us know if you're still experiencing problems:

• Email notifications are going out for all topics and posts that you follow
  • Email notifications contain specific subject lines for the relevant topic/post
  • New search results now default back to "page 1" with new results
The Community search improvements are still underway, and we expect resolution within a week.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Lila - I have to log in every single day, I'm not sure that the 2 day session period is working. Wondering if anyone else is still experiencing this? (And also, 2 days is still pretty short?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Kelly, I've noticed that myself and a few others have reported frequent logins in the last week or so. We brought it to the attention of our vendor, and will let you know when we have an update!