Add ability to update playbooks on existing CTAs

Related products: None

I thought the capability already existed, but it appears updating a CTA will only apply a playbook if there was not already a playbook attached. I've never had a situation arise, until now, where I needed this capability - but I can see a greater need for it down the road.

Is there any reason why this functionality shouldn't be possible? If not, I would like to request that it get added, because there's definitely a solid use case for it.

If I've missed something, and there IS a way to update playbooks on existing CTAs (without deleting/readding) then please let me know that as well.

I think this use case has come up in the past and it would be great to get your perspective, Jeff. Example: You have 20 existing CTAs that all have a Playbook with 5 total tasks. Those CTAs have a variety of tasks completed -- in other words 5 CTAs have 4 of the 5 tasks complete, 7 CTAs have 2 tasks complete, etc... NOW you have a new Playbook that you want to apply to those 20 CTAs. If that NEW Playbook has 7 tasks or even 4 tasks, what would you want to have happen to the work that's already been completed? If we do a simple blanket Playbook replacement, then the work already done would be lost. If we leave the completed tasks in tact and just add the new Playbook (net new), you could likely end up with duplicate tasks (and I think it could be challenging to try to match up like tasks behind the scenes). Anyway...any suggestions on a way to address that would work for most situations without creating too many new problems?

Jeff - could you provide some examples where you recently have a need for this? What kind of changes/updates do you need to push? I have also heard this requirement from some other customers (recently as earlier this week). Some of their use cases: I want to change the comment associated with the task on a playbook or we updated the email template and want to replace these in current open CTAs with that playbook.

There is not an OOB way to do these kind of updates today.

We had an urgent issue come up that impacted a large volume of customers and we needed the CSMs to engage ASAP. We realized another task was needed after the CTA was triggered. That kind of thing can happen when it comes to last minute issues that require immediate action - not a lot of time to thoroughly vet a playbook.

Also, if we get feedback that a particular task isn’t working as designed or clear, we did have a situation where we wanted to update comments on the existing CTAs so they get the updated task.

Come to think of it we did have the email template issue come up as well, but in a theoretical way so we didn’t actually need to do it then, just “what if”

I would say make it an option to either replace the playbook OR only A) add new tasks that don’t exist in the target playbook AND 😎 only update tasks that match the target playbook that are not in a closed state, leaving the complete tasks untouched.

We utilize the playbooks to push out annual activities for our CSMs to complete. The CTA includes a list of tasks that are required to occur for each account. The CTA is named "2019 CSM Activities" and includes items such as annual check-in calls or customer journey map creation. It is a small list of activities and helps our management team track progress/risk through the year.

One use case is that as we go through the year we will sometimes add a task to the playbook that was not included in the original playbook when the CTA was created. Here is an example:

Playbook #1 (Original) -

Task 1: Annual Check-In

Task 2: Complete Journey Map

Playbook #1 (updated) -

Task 1: Annual Check-In

Task 2: Complete Journey Map

Task 3: Run Best Practice Assessment

I would like to be able to re-run a rule to push out the plabook to accounts so that it will only add Task 3 to the existing CTA created with the "Playbook Orignal" version. Gainsight would need to be aware that this playbook was already created and update the CTA/Tasks and not create it brand new.

I could see a second use case that was highlighted in this thread about updating comments or other metadata on the playbook (i.e. Name).

I've run into the email template issue several times in the past few weeks. We just did an overhaul of all our playbook emails, and I also make sure to point out that the changes won't show up on existing CTAs. I've also recently had to update playbook tasks and same issue. I thought I had posted about it previously a while back, but I couldn't find it. My thoughts were to have an option to push to all open CTAs so that they get the new tasks/emails.

Time to update some playbooks again and bring this one back up. :)

I have a similar situation where email templates had some mis-spellings and we updated the templates and then updated the playbook tasks associated but apparently the existing (non-completed, non email sent) tasks don't get the new template which seems very odd to me. Hopefully this can get resolved for situations like this.

This is still causing me problems. We recently changed one of our processes, and thus, we updated about 20 playbooks accordingly. I made it clear to the leader that the changes would only show up on new CTAs, but I get an email probably about once a week saying that I missed updating a playbook when in fact it's because the CTA was generated before the changes. I ran a report this morning, and there are still over 900 open CTAs that now have the wrong playbook, so obviously it's not an easy fix to correct. Would have been solved easily with a push changes option. 🙂

I would like to upvote this request. We have thousands of CTAs and update our playbooks yearly, but it's always after CTAs have generated and we cannot manually update playbooks on thousands of records. We need the option to update all existing open CTAs

@All, Sorry for the inconvenience and I know this is been a long-time request. Previously this request is not added to our product backlog, now we have added this to our product backlog, ETA not known.

I will update here once this considered for release.Thanks for providing all your use-cases, thoughts and ideas here.

@All, Sorry for the inconvenience and I know this is been a long-time request. Previously this request is not added to our product backlog, now we have added this to our product backlog, ETA not known.

I will update here once this considered for release.Thanks for providing all your use-cases, thoughts and ideas here.

@sai_ram So is this back on the roadmap? If so, should the status be updated from NOT PLANNED to something else?

@spencer_engel Thanks for the update! I have changed the status accordingly. 

@sai_ram any update on this?

@bradley We will be considering this as a part of the playbook revamp (tentatively planned for Q4 2021)

@bradley We will be considering this as a part of the playbook revamp (tentatively planned for Q4 2021)

Thanks for the update and planned timeline @sriram pasupathi !

Another vote for this! Exact same use case as Jeffrey; playbooks are often created in a hurry and need to be revised after being triggered.

@sriram pasupathi any update on if this is still planned for this quarter?

Let me see if I can get some insights around this.

This is now planned as a part of playbook revamp in Q2 2022.

This would be a great functionality. Also have a use case similar to the ones above. When we first go live with Playbooks, we’ll realize maybe the name of the tasks were unclear and we updated them; maybe we needed to re-order the playbook; or like above, new tasks get added.

It would be great to have the ability to make this update to the playbooks that were already created that are still open with any changes that have been made.

This would be a great functionality. Also have a use case similar to the ones above. When we first go live with Playbooks, we’ll realize maybe the name of the tasks were unclear and we updated them; maybe we needed to re-order the playbook; or like above, new tasks get added.

It would be great to have the ability to make this update to the playbooks that were already created that are still open with any changes that have been made.

Ditto - is this still on for Q2 2022??

Just running into this again with an update to an email template used in a playbook that I now have to manually update on all the open CTA using that playbook.  Can we please get an update on this?

Just running into this again with an update to an email template used in a playbook that I now have to manually update on all the open CTA using that playbook.  Can we please get an update on this?

@mpatra could you pl share an update?

The Playbook Revamp along with this enhancement is now being planned as a part of Q3 2022.