Solved

Syncing Timeline Activities to SF

• 18 November 2016
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
In your release notes, it says that you can sync Timeline Activities to SF Tasks. Can I get more details on how they can be synced?
icon

Best answer by rakesh_lingala 3 February 2020, 11:50

View original

24 replies

Badge +3
Under Activities in Admin you can check a box for each Activity Type to have it synch to Salesforce tasks.  The field mapping is controlled under the Activities Sync in that same section. 
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Some additional points:

• Currently the sync works on a per Activity Type basis. So you can't pick individual posts to manually sync just yet, like you can in Cockpit.
  • The sync is uni-directional, so we don't bring anything back from Salesforce if the record there is updated. We do sync any edits/updates back to Salesforce, and also currently try to delete the record from Salesforce when it is deleted from Gainsight.
  • Depending on the volume of Activities being generated in your org, the sync frequency could be somewhere between 5 to 30 hours.
Please do share any feedback you have on these beta release assumptions. It'll help us enhance the feature functionality going forward.

Thanks,

Manu
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Thanks, Manu! I appreciate the clarification!
Thanks Manu! Great to hear about the salesforce synch. Question for you: are there plans to enable @-mentioning when logging Activities in Timeline?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
I also want to point out there's more detail on how to configure the Activity types, including enabling the sync option, in this article. And this article is for end users of the new Timeline view.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi Ryan,

Yes, there are plans to add social features such as @mentioning folks, commenting, etc.

This is more phase-III at this point, though, as there are other core features we need to build first.

Thanks,

Manu
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
I turned on the Sync to Salesforce feature last week, but didn't think to then manually enable each activity type to sync. I just turned them on. Will Activities that have [i]already been logged now sync over to Salesforce?
Badge
Yes, already logged-in activities will also get synced.
Are there any plans to have activities in SF sync back to Timeline? We are heavy users of activities in SF and would like those existing activities to appear back in Gainsight in order to transition.
Badge +3
I love this use case!  We are looking to enable creation of Activities through Rules Engine, which would enable this use case (and others).   Still a couple steps away to get there but definitely very important. 
I am having trouble getting this to work. We don't have Tasks in sfdc enabled, and I did all the steps to enable syncing from the timeline to sfdc - but nothing is showing up in the Activity History or Notes and Attachments. It has been over a week so it isn't the issue with waiting 30 hours. Where would these show up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
Hi Heather. They're synced to Tasks only, therefore they show up in Activity History. Keep in mind that syncing only happens when there are 50 activities, or after 30 hours, whichever comes first. So, if you set it up [i]just now, that would explain why the Tasks don't appear yet.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi Heather,

Are they showing up under Open Activities by any chance? If you could grant us support/LMA access, we can take a closer look.
I actually just found them in Open Activities! we don't have a shortcut link at the top of our account page so I didn't even know that section existed. Any chance you know how to have them noted as complete instead of not started so they show up in the Activity History?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
If you go to Administration > Activities > Activity Sync, there's a "Salesforce Status" selector -- maybe that's not set?
oh my...I forgot that I was the one who set the default to Not Started. Thank you for reminding me of that setting!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Yep, Seth beat me to it. You can just pick the closed status from there for activities to show up as closed.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Do you know if there is a way to tell when reporting on the Task object which tasks came from our sync? The only option I have come up with is to create a custom status of Completed - GS and reporting off of that.
Badge
Currently we do not have any way to distinguish sync task with other task but as you suggested this can be achieve by creating custom field.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Hi Zach,

As Sandeep mentioned, no way to tell for Tasks created via Timeline/Activities. Tasks created via Cockpit, however, do have the CTA reference (Related To) captured as that sync is bi-directional.
Are there any plans to allow manual syncing to Salesforce like we can do currently with CTA tasks?  With data limits, we have suggested only syncing CTA tasks that have genuine long notes and not quick notes like "left VM", "call back", etc...
Badge
We would also like to see SFDC Activities appear in Timeline as our Reps use SFDC Activities and our CSMs use Timeline --> this causes some communications vacuums at times.
Hi Manu,

I think it was mentioned on the Pulse Academy that there's a plan for Timeline to SFDC sync frequency will be real-time. Do we have an update on this?
Badge

Hi Manu,

I think it was mentioned on the Pulse Academy that there's a plan for Timeline to SFDC sync frequency will be real-time. Do we have an update on this?

As promised, we are shipping this feature in this release which is applicable in both SFDC & NXT version.

Happy to announce that your request has been considered and included as part of v6.10 release (Jan).  Gainsight now syncs Activities from the Event and Task Salesforce objects into Timeline. This means if a customer is switching systems, they can bring historic data into Timeline. And, if other cross-functional teams use Salesforce Activities to capture touchpoints, these can be displayed in Timeline to avoid users going back and forth between multiple systems.

You can find the relevant information in our v6.10 Release Notes.

Thanks for posting!