Question

Custom Rules Deprecation

• 15 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge
I noticed GS is working on a migration utility to convert Custom Rules to Bionic Rules.

What will happen if we don't migrate our Custom Rules to Bionic Rules?

Will the rule result in a failure or will it just not run?

4 replies

Badge
Great question Johnny. I would love to know this answer as well.
When we plan to migrate certain functionality we never break the existing functionality. Ideally your custom rules should work as expected.

I am not from Rules Engine team, but this is what general approach we have across teams when we upgrade or migrate functionalities. 

However my opinion is you should always consider migrating to new features, they are fast and has many extended functionalities. 

🙂
Hi Johny,

There will be no change to the existing custom rules but please note that there will not be any new enhancements to custom rules going forward. Also, only high priority issues(if any) for custom rules will be resolved.

Advantages of Switching to Bionic Rules

1) Lot of additional extended capabilities including Transforming, aggregating, pivoting and merging data

2) No need to create multiple rules for different source objects if they solve the same business problem. That can be accomplished by just one bionic rule.

3) Lesser number of rules => Better manageability of rules

Migration of custom to Bionic Rules

1) The existing custom rules will continue to be there and execute same as today. If , at all, there is a plan to deprecate existing custom rules, it will be communicated 6 months in advance.

2) We encourage users to start using Bionic rules to leverage the extended capabilities of Bionic Rules. 

Although we will be providing a utility to migrate custom rules to bionic rules, but that alone might not be a good idea because the utility will convert one custom rule to 1 bionic rule.

However, multiple custom rules can be merged to one bionic rule if they solve the same business need and one Bionic rule helps improve manageability. 

We suggest you to convert your exiting custom rule(s) [with or without utility] to Bionic Rule, Validate and test completely to ensure it solves the same purpose in a better way.

Regards,

Jitin
Badge
Is there a plan to add the email send-time feature to Bionic rules?  My understanding, and it might be wrong, is that only with custom rules can you send emails out according to a certain date.  I'm migrating my time-based workflow internal notifications for contract expirations from the salesforce feature to custom rules because the salesforce functionality is so fickle. Is there a plan to allow email sends based on time details to bionic rules?  Sorry if I'm not saying that correctly.