Solved

CoPilot versus Marketo

We are developing our nurturing program for existing customers and have run into some bumps in the road about whether to use CoPilot or Marketo to deliver our newsletters. Our marketing team uses Marketo very successfully for email campaigns to prospects and have volunteered to help with customer communications through Marketo. Their argument for Marketo and against CoPilot is based around having one source of truth for opt-outs, bounced emails and spam, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I have a hard time arguing against this. I am also considering integrating Marketo with Gainsight to use Powerlists to trigger Marketo campaigns. Does anyone have experience with this? Any lessons learned, recommendations?

Thanks,

Steve
icon

Best answer by abhishek_sivaraman 15 May 2018, 08:00

View original

10 replies

Badge
Great question Steve. I am in a very similar spot, but I ultimately sided with the "ain't broke don't fix it" option. Our marketing team is very good at what they do, and it sounds like your's is as well.

Our greater issue is communication with current customers from Sales. They own both new logo and growth. What we have found recently is that mass email activities are getting out of control. As you mentioned, the opt-out truth is not being applied either which creates a problem.

Very interested to see what ideas other have.
Great question Steve. I work in the product management team at Gainsight and here are my thoughts. The summary is for marketing-centric or advocacy-centric email, even to existing customers, it can make sense to use marketing automation. For adoption-centric emails, Copilot if typically preferred. Here are some specific instances on where I recommend using Copilot - 

• Email is sent based on health score, CTAs opened or other Gainsight data

• Email Includes tightly integrated NPS surveys or transactional surveys

• Send embedded reports in copilot emails

• CSM team wants to own (vs. fitting in marketing schedule)

• Different / no opt-out - If a customer opts out from marketing email about a future event, should they not receive the renewal email?

• Semi-automation - we are releasing this capability in August. where essentially instead of automatically sending a batch email, the automation places email tasks in Cockpit. The CSM can review, edit if they want, and press send. 

Hope this helps!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What's your type - of communications that is?.

I'm curious about the types of communications other GS clients are sending through co-pilot. Do tell.  
Tara, I merged your question in here, since if I understand correctly, they're similar? Is this discussion helpful?
Badge
Are you saying that Marketo (even if integrated with GS) cannot perform the above functions you listed? 

ex: Sending emails based on Health Score, NPS Score, CTAs opened or sending embedded reports within the email?
Badge
you can send emails to customers based on their NPS responses, Usage Data, # of Logins, # of cases they created, Welcome Emails to new customers... just to name a few.

There will probably be some configurations needed, such as whitelabeling your domain name to prevent emails from being flagged by spam filters. Hope that helps.
It depends on whether the data is in SFDC or MDA. If on MDA, then you cannot with Marketo (unless you manually copy to SFDC). 
Badge +1
Reviving this thread as I'm sure things have changed from 2 years ago (and all info I can find is kind of old). If on a survey I opt to use Marketo as the email service does that mean that:

1) I loose all the cool functionality available in Advanced Outreaches

2) All scheduling, workflow, etc is dependent on Marketo

3) Results from the survey (NPS and answers) are stored in Gainsight and text analytics is still performed by Gainsight.

Is the above correct?

Thanks!
Hi,

The answer to Q1 and Q2 would be "Yes". For Q3 , Iam assuming you are using Gainsight Surveys, so the answer would be Yes for that as well.

Thanks

Abhishek S
Hi team, could someone verify if the documentation on integrating Marketo with Gainsight is still up-to-date? 

https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Data_Management_and_Integrations/Technology_Part... 

https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Data_Management_and_Integrations/Technology_Part... 

As for the use case, would this be appropriate for sending surveys?