Question About the Lookup Relation option in MDA

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • In Progress
A bit unfamiliar about what the Lookup Relation feature does exactly. Just wanted some clarification.

So, for our situation, we have a web based platform for our users. That Usage data is then uploaded by our Devs into a MDA object called 'Weblogs' which is storing all the different types of Usage by our clients. We are then building a report off this MDA object to track Usage by Types at the account level and individual user level. However, it looks like we are not pulling in the users into the correct account. They are appearing under different child accounts. 

I am wondering if this caused by the fact that one of the fields in our MDA has the enabled Lookup Relation feature. The field is called "Username" and has a Lookup Relation set up so that we can match the Friendly name (which we don't get from the data drop by Devs).
 
I noticed that the users are appearing in the reports for the account they are listed under in SFDC instead of what account they are under in our platform. Is the Lookup Relation overriding which account since the initial data is coming from the platform? This also is a bigger issue with inaccuracies in our SFDC data but I just wanted to get a better understanding of the Lookup Relation feature first. Thank you!
Photo of Manmeet Dosanjh

Manmeet Dosanjh, Champion

  • 3,932 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

  • 1
Photo of Samantha Braastad

Samantha Braastad, Champion

  • 7,436 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Manmeet, 

I believe your 'issue' is caused by the look-up set-up on the username. Are you using the username look-up to also pull in the Account Look-up when running reports or rules? Or is there an actual SF Account ID listed within the MDA that is for the proper SF account (not the child accounts)? 
Photo of Manmeet Dosanjh

Manmeet Dosanjh, Champion

  • 3,932 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Samantha,

This was set up before I started here but from the looks of things, we are using the username look-up to relate to the MDA where we have user name data. The data we receive for our Weblogs just has the username, which is just an ID and not the name of the user. I think that is why it was set up to look-up the username from another MDA object, which has additional fields such as the Account ID and Name, as well as the Users first and last name. The Account ID is mapped to SFDC, which I just realized as I was looking at it again lol.

Sounds like that is the reason the user is getting pushed into reports for the account they are listed under in SFDC and not the one on our actual platform, if that makes sense?
Photo of Denise Stokowski

Denise Stokowski, Official Rep

  • 12,290 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
It seems like object being used in the mapping with the username, Account ID, Name, SFDC Account object might need to be corrected (or built another way) to use your more reliable data.  And to show the data on a C360 page - you will need to assign it to a SFDC Account.
Photo of Samantha Braastad

Samantha Braastad, Champion

  • 7,436 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yes, that seems correct. We have had a similar issue where the one username (often an email) can be assigned to more than one account within SF. As such, we have created a separate cross-reference table that provides the SF Account ID that aligns with the appropriate account based on our platform. We are working on adding our platform ID into SF so that we can pass that piece of data in our usage file and create a look-up to the SF Account ID using that rather than the individual user name. 

Let me know if that does/doesn't make sense ;)