Question

What does Module filtering in Path Analyzer actually do?

• 22 June 2021
  • 4 replies

Can someone explain what actually happens when you filter by a specific Module in the Path Analyzer? 

My intended behaviour is to only show features in the visual that are within the selected Module, but in reality I see features from other Modules as well. I suspect it has something to do with the ‘Top Features’ always showing, regardless of the filter applied, but I cannot work out how the Module filter actually works.

Add Filters | Features > change from Feature to Module & use ‘0’ for ‘Number of total times used/Greater than

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for posting @Joey !

The filters in Path Analyzer (and other PX Analytics), determine the users/accounts that will be considered/included in the Path Analyzer results.  They will not affect the features displayed and there is currently no way to do this, but this has been a recent feature request that you should review, comment on, and upvote.

thanks @link_black - that clarifies the filtering behaviour but apart from answering the question 'for users that run function x > what other things do they do?' I am not sure what to actually do with the filtering capability now that I understand it does not actually filter the features displayed.

I have voted on the feature request as I think there is a lot of benefit to being able to filter down to module level only or exclude certain events that do not add to the analysis.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

A couple suggestions for the “for users that run function x > what other things do they do?” query…

• In Path Analyzer, select starting/ending with the Feature event mapped to “function x” to understand what user do just before and/or right after using “function x”.
  • In Feature Adoption, filter by users that use “function x” and then group the report by Features to understand which Features are used most and/or least often by these users. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

A couple suggestions for the “for users that run function x > what other things do they do?” query…

• In Path Analyzer, select starting/ending with the Feature event mapped to “function x” to understand what user do just before and/or right after using “function x”.
  • In Feature Adoption, filter by users that use “function x” and then group the report by Features to understand which Features are used most and/or least often by these users. 

@Joey did you get chance to view the comments here?