Question

Viewing Session Duration data on a User Level

• 24 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2

I can see the average session duration for all users in the dashboard from the widget, but there is no option to see this information at user level.

My use case would be to observe account/user level session duration over weeks to analyze engagement. I currently get an option to see the number of sessions initiated but as you can understand, a session might be a minute long, or 29 minutes long, and as of now, we can’t access that information.

Also, I’ve seen the same question here but that user had access to Gainsight CS, which we don’t.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks for posting to PX Community @Simarpreet Singh !  

To get these insights, try adding Account and/or User filters to the Average session duration widget in your custom dashboard.

Badge +1

Thanks for posting to PX Community @Simarpreet Singh  ! 

Currently, The Average Session Duration widget displays the average session duration of all the sessions during the selected timeframe. To get the information at user level then will have to add the filters on the widget. 

Example: To get the average session duration of a user:

use user’s id or an email in the filters and the widget diplays the average session duration of that particular user during the selected timeframe. Similarly, You can use Account filters too.

Video: https://share.getcloudapp.com/2Nu7q6Zz 

Happy PX-ing!

Userlevel 2

Hi @link_black and @Cheemala Shivani,

What you guys have described would help me if I already knew which account’s session duration I want to track over time, but that’s not my current use case.  I can currently see the average session duration for all clients for a particular plan week over week, but I have no way of understanding why this number is increasing or decreasing over time. 

In the query builder, I can set the event as “Session Init”, choose a Plan as a filter, download the list of weekly sessions for the last 4 weeks for every Account, and export this data. Once I export this CSV, I analyze the data I have and I can clearly see which clients are having lower engagement over time and potentially consider taking action before they churn.

Although I can currently do this analysis with “Session count”, the fact that 3 sessions with a total session duration of 30 minutes VS 3 sessions with a total session duration of 5 minutes are vastly different, which is why this data would be very critical for my analyses. Moreover, also being able to see the session durations for particular pages would give me so much insight.

Having a “Session Duration” event, or any other way to get this data would be appreciated!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Simarpreet Singh 
Thank you for your post!

Would this work for you?

For the duration of time period you’re interested to analyze the sessions:

• Run a Funnel with the important steps that are most relevant to your product (Outliers of session duration in the non important parts of your product may not help much anyway)
  • From clicking on the various steps with you may notice the steps that are having abnormal duration between the steps
  • Among the various steps as well one can look at the time durations at user level and see any abnormality
  • Pick a few such users and visit their full user profile to understand their detailed sessions in the time period of interest
  • This might help understand what behaviours are causing the session durations to increase or decrease.
  • This is certainly a sampling play involved here, but can potentially help with your usecase.