Solved

Trigger engagement via link

• 9 July 2019
  • 8 replies

Is it possible to trigger an engagement by following a link/js function, similarly to what the knowledge centre bot does?

icon

Best answer by harshibanka 9 July 2019, 19:45

View original

8 replies

Hi Davide, thank you for your question.

Not explicitly at the moment. Have you tried to use the URL or Product Mapper rule on the engagement?

If you do this, the user who goes to the specific link/URL will see the engagement. Let us know your thoughts. Thanks!

Thanks Alex, I'm not sure I follow your thinking, can you expand on the process?

For context, I'm trying to see if there is anything I can send to a user (for example over chat or email) to bring up the walk-through again in the case where they've dismissed it and would like to go back to it.

Thanks,

Davide

Thanks for clarifying your question, Davide. That makes more sense.

Currently, we don't have that function explicitly, however, there are some alternative solutions. Let me bounce some ideas here:

• Use hotspot with qualification scope "Once Per Visit" (this might mean altering your current guide to start with a hotspot; it's a more subtle engagement rather than a pop-up)

• Knowledge Bot and label with categories

• Change guide engagement to "Once Per Visit" so they'll see it every session

To clarify from earlier, I meant adding the link as a URL rule in the Audience selection. When a user clicks on the URL link, it will trigger the engagement.

Hi Alex,

Ah, that makes sense.

We're currently experimenting with the knowledge bot, but having an issue -- separate thread. That is that way we would like to go eventually. The other options are less suitable for us.

The point from earlier (URL in audience section) - now I get it and it seems like a very good idea. I'll try that, thanks.

Badge +2
My 2 cents here on your use case:

1. Park the engagement in Knowledge Center Bot for later reference to users with proper naming convention (as mentioned by @alextran ), or,

2. Use Qualification Scope > Show Attempts> Once> Every One Week and set an end date for how many times you want to display it to the user

3. Create another Engagement B> In Audience> Select In-App Engagment Rule> Select the criteria as If Engagement A has been viewed (which means not completed) less than 1 time, trigger Engagement B (see screenshot for reference)

The follow up engagement could be an "Email Engagement" or any other In-App Engagement, may be start with a 'hotspot' like @alextran mentioned above

Additionally, I would look at Analytics:

• if its a Guide to see on which Step Users are dropping off

• Which cohort of users are completeing the Engagements

• Which cohort is not completing the engagement

• Based on the above data analysis, re-assess the need/ strategy for that in-app engagement

Many thanks @harshibanka!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hi @dzilli ,

I have couple of solutions, please go through this and let me know if these works for you.

Creating JS fucnction and calling the custom event

1. You can have a link on a page, calling the Javascript function on the click, and the JS function will be responsible for calling a custom event.

We do have the feature tracking for the custom event, and we can always trigger an engagement based on this.

Here is the small video that can help you.

https://embed.vidyard.com/share/snch5tnRq8jJc1vvVXkEee?

2. Creating a URL using anchor tag, and creating a feature on that link, triggering an enagement when the link is clicked

Here is the another small video that can help you

https://embed.vidyard.com/share/3t9ab37w7xmR9UTWFJAh42?

Thanks

Dileep Nalla

I don't have a bot active yet to test it, but it must be the case that there is nothing special (and copy-pasteable) about the link to each engagement with the knowledge center. Otherwise, we'd be able to use that link.

I was hoping to use some such link if user-selected branching was not possible within a single engagement. Such branching would be useful where multiple routes could be valid, as opposed to a systems-based branch where the system state could alone determine a single valid branching route (the system-based branching case seems doable via triggers looking for the "trunk" engagement in progress, triggering a given "branch" engagment).