Custom events and their handling limits in PX

• 23 April 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hey Team,

I would love to see the ability of handling more custom events in PX, and providing the option to delete the custom events from UI and making the customers aware how does the system behave or handle the with the deleted custom events?

Do we see having the ability to delete Custom Events from UI and Ablity to Increase the custom events limits in the near future?

Thanks

Dileep Nalla

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

FYI: @Julie-Pinto @link_black @harshibanka 

cc @angelo 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Being able to delete invalid/incorrect Custom Events would be great!

Below are the current limits imposed on Custom Events:

• The maximum # of unique Custom Event names is 2,000 per PX Product
  • There is a limit of 2000 characters for custom event names
  • There is a limit of 50 properties for custom event
  • The number of characters for any property name/key is 1024

Having up to 2,000 different Custom Events “types” per PX Product seems like it should be enough for most all PX customers. 

The best way to use Custom Events without hitting this limit of unique Custom Event names (aka “Types”) is to keep your Custom Event “types” at a high level (e.g. "File Download") and use the Custom Event properties to pass the necessary context/detail about the specific event (e.g. "Type":"pdf" or "Type":"doc" or "Type":"xls" or "Type":"gif").  Some other examples of leveraging a single Custom Event type to have multiple meanings could be “Login” → put user name, timestamp, IP address, etc. in properties, “Page View” → put page title, details, size, etc. in properties, and “Report Run” → put report name, type, author, etc of report in properties.

Implementing Custom Events in this way will allow much flexibility/scalability and should also help to keep them very well organized and easier to understand.

Lastly, and we learned this with a PX customer recently, do not put varying data in the Custom Event name, such as a timestamp (e.g. “My custom event 5:04PM”), since you will hit the 2,000 limit very quickly.

I hope this helps!

Hi guys, has something changed regarding these limits? I’m mainly interested in the number of attributes per one custom event which you say is 50, however, we are sending more than that and didn’t experience any issue so far (not that we were too much focused on it tbh).

Hi team,

I’m also interested in the answer to Boris’ question above - we have several events consisted of 60+ attributes and everything seems to be in place. But maybe we are mistaken and we are not seeing a part of these events. Can you please check this out and let us know if this limitation has changed or has stayed the same?