Can you launch an engagement based on a link in an email?

• 8 January 2021
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

You sure can! I want to share the process and some best practices to follow as your consider expanding your success toolset with this powerful idea.

First, within audience logic of an engagement, you may have noticed the option for ‘Query Parameters’. This is an element of a URL and typically helps to pass certain information from page to page. However, we can also hijack it to tell PX that the user signing in needs to be treated differently. Using PX as an example, if I wanted to push a guide to a customer based on an email I sent them, the clickable link would be something like "https://app.aptrinsic.com/dashboard?refer=email". The parameter 'refer' and value 'email' do not mean anything to the system, so it ignores them. However, the PX Engagement rules will read the value and execute the guide engagement showing the new feature I meantioned in my original email.

There are some things to keep in mind while doing this:

• Your app must support ‘deep links
  • Your app cannot scrub the URL of the parameters being sent with the link
  • If you enabled engagement throttling for PX, you should probably ‘ignore throttling’ otherwise your user will not see your content
  •  

1 reply

Badge +2

This is so awesome, thanks for sharing @christopher_sanderson !