Question

Rule syntax to upsert SFDC opportunity to appear as Gainsight Company

• 1 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi,

I am in need of assistance in modifying an upsert rule and hopeful a community member can assist. We have a few instances where an SFDC account is a sell-through partner. The opportunities associated with these partner accounts are end customers. In these instances, our CSM needs to be assigned to the end customer, not the partner. I would like to modify our upsert rule from SFDC to Gainsight to treat the opportunity associated with these partner accounts  as a Company in Gainsight. 

I’d greatly appreciate ideas on the necessary rule syntax or other data modeling strategies to allow this.

And hopefully this is clear - please advise if not and I can hopefully clarify further!

Thanks,

Shon

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@sneditch Welcome to the Community. Glad you are here.

This is a more and more common use case, as partner programs become more prevalent. I’d consider adding a Rule for this use case, rather than attempting to overly modify your existing rule to cover both “direct customers” and then “customers via sell-through partner”

For that new (and second) rule, you should be able to:

1. Create a Dataset task based on SFDC > Opportunity. Include filters so you get these “sell-through” Opportunities. I’m going to assume the related “end customer” Account appears somewhere on the Opportunity.
  2. Create a Dataset task based on SFDC > Account. Fetch Accounts, and add any filters that might help in trimming down an excess number of Accounts. Pull in any fields from the Account that you know are important, like SFDC Account ID, Customer Start Date, ARR or Industry, etc. Basically, pull in the same fields you use in your current “Load to Company” rule.
  3. Create a Merge task, merging the above two datasets, using a Common join. That will give you only the Opportunities which are “sell-through” along with the Account fields you want to create the Company.
  4. On the Actions page, use an “Load to Company” action to insert / upsert the Company record.
  5. ProTip: Consider if you need to somehow mark these Company records which are “end customers” via a partner. You may desire a different customer journey map, or different types of comms, if an end customer falls into this bucket. If so, consider if you need a new field on the Company object, or you can use an existing field, to note these.

Hopefully that gets you started. Feel free to add more questions or thoughts.

Badge +1

Thank you Matthew. I am stepping through the above detail with my team and will respond with our results, further q’s, etc. Very much appreciated!