Solved

Pulling data from Power BI into Gainsight NXT

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hello,

as far as I know, there’s no connector for Gainsight NXT and Power BI. Is there anything in the roadmap?

Or which would be the best way/workaround to pull data from Power BI into NXT?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by cjacksonfe 27 July 2021, 18:12

View original

11 replies

Badge

@Ester.Memoli , it’s my understanding that Power BI is not necessarily a datasource in and of itself, but rather an analytics tool that connects to different sources of data and then you can correlate it and so on. 

Given that assumption, I don’t think there’s a possibility to get the data from BI into something else - you would just figure out what sources are feeding it, and feed those into Gainsight. Mind you, I’m not an expert or anything in the BI space, so I might be short-selling PBI’s capabilities, but that’s the path I would take. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Hi @cjacksonfe you made a valid point.

I’m not a PowerBI expert too, so it’s an interesting and useful comment about its purpose and use. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Ester.Memoli - you can load data to PowerBI just like Tableau or any other analytics tool.There’s generally no way to transform data in PBI except for merging tables.

If you load data to PowerBI, you can load the same data to Gainsight via S3. 

https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Connectors_(Horizon_Experience)/File-Based_Integration/Gainsight_S3_Connector

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Thank you @jean.nairon 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Has anyone on this thread had success displaying PowerBI data in a Horizon Analytics dashboard? I assume it should work fine (I won’t be able to test myself for another couple weeks in my org).

Userlevel 2

Hi @spencer_engel , I was able to embed power bi, tableau and other dashboard and reports in C360 and HA, but not able to figure the embedded filters so that only account level info displays when in C360. There is a very poor documentation in how to add parameters and filters, so if anyone has successfully done it, please share!

Badge +3

@spencer_engel @jivanova  are you successful in embedding power BI reports into Gainsight dashboard.
I guess you are using PowerBI embed feature to import it to Gainsight ?

Userlevel 2

@Harika Singadi - we are not successful because GS has a limit of 255 characters for the url to be embedded. Power Bi urls are longer than that even before you append custom filter to display only account level info in C360. Please vote for this item to have GS extend the character limit so we can all make use of embedding. 

Badge +3

Thanks @jivanova . I have just voted or the requirement.
Can you please let me know for any other ways that we can embed the third party reports into Gainsight dashboard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Harika Singadi How do I embed a Power BI report into Horizon Analytics? The documentation is poor https://support.gainsight.com/SFDC_Edition/Reports_and_Dashboards/Horizon_Analytics/Admin_Guides/Configure_Dashboards_(Horizon_Analytics)#Configure_Web_Page_Widget

I tried just copying and pasting the URL straight from Power BI, but that didn’t work. Do I need to generate some kind of embed code from Power BI?

Badge +3

Yes,@spencer_engel 

step1:publish the report to power BI .Publishing the report makes the report available in power bI service console

step2: In Power BI service console 

• Open a report 
  • On the File menu, select Embed report > Website or portal.

For more details, please  refer the below link:

Embed a report in a secure portal or website - Power BI | Microsoft Docs