So I have been getting quite a few requests in the past month or so regarding how to setup and maintain a Gainsight NXT sandbox and I have noticed that the associated documentation is rather lacking. One thing that isn’t discussed at all is that you do NOT have to refresh the gainsight sandbox if you do a SFDC refresh. If you have a bunch of assets in your current Gainsight sandbox tenant I suggest performing a “tenant repoint” where you refresh your SFDC sandbox and then log into your NXT sandbox tenant and simply reauthorize the SFDC connection (it will connect to the newly refreshed org id).
Anyway, here’s a rough draft of accumulated best practices hopefully they’re helpful:
- Hit “Add Sandbox” --> this kicks off a Prod -> SB tenant copy
- Whoever kicks off this job will be the only user who can directly access the new NXT SB tenant initially
- Once you access the SB tenant directly, you need to go into Administration/Connectors 2.0/ Salesforce Connector and edit the connection details --> it will show a prod connection the first time you access this. Change it to a Sandbox connection and add in the custom login url that would be used to a log into the sandbox directly.
- Authorize the revised sandbox connection
- Open a new admin tab, go to the Rules Engine --> rule settings; this is where you find the oAuth user and timestamp info
- Go back to connectors, hit the three vertical dots on the salesforce connector; you should see something like” Link Salesforce to Gainsight” --> press that and go back to the rules setting tab -- you should see an updated oauth timestamp
- There is also a way to repoint an existing gainsight sandbox to a newly refreshed SFDC sandbox... all you do is Deauthorize the current sfdc connection in the sandbox and update the connection details, then authorize. Then hit “unlink Gainsight from Salesforce” then “Link gainsight to salesforce” (i.e. unlink/link.... these options are both available via the three vertical dots on the sfdc connector tab”
- The Unlink/Link options basically bounce (break/create) the oauth connection between SFDC and Gainsight.