Question

Migrating to Zendesk Connector 2.0

• 22 May 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

Hello,  we are currently in the process of migrating our Zendesk connector from 1.0 to 2.0 

Initially, all of the data was imported into an Object called Zendesk tickets, but now with the 2.0 connector, two OOB jobs are provided:

• Cases Sync: This job syncs Zendesk tickets/cases into Cases object in Gainsight.
  • Users Sync: This job syncs Zendesk users into User object in Gainsight.

How can I make sure to have all of these jobs imported to Zendesk tickets object too? I don’t want the Zendesk ticket object to only cover historical data whereas Cases object will digest all of the newly created data.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @vartan.kourshounian - again, I use Freshdesk but there’s a possibility with the Freshdesk connector to do much like what you do in rules engine, and blend the data into one data set (like you do in horizon rules/data designer as it’s almost the same UI).

I’m in the process of doing something similar in my instance whereby I had:

• A Freshdesk company sync job (useless for us)
  • A Freshdesk incidents sync job

(we also have two others possible data sources: agents and contacts which currently we don’t leverage)

I don’t care about having Freshdesk companies separately, just like you don’t care about having the Zendesk users separately from tickets.

What you need to do is:

1. Blend your data as you want it in one data set in a new connector job (test job if you will), for example, as follows:
    • Zendesk tickets fetch task
    • Zendesk users fetch task
    • Merge left (I think it would make the most sense) to append “users” to the tickets they logged. I guess there’s going to be some form of identifier for the user in the ticket fetch task that you should merge on. 
  1. Review your current object structure and what fields from Zendesk users you might want to bring in
  2. Create those missing fields
  3. Make sure you set up your identifier field in “Add to destination” to the correct identifier that will help you identify unique tickets and update those “older tickets” with the new information you want to bring in. That will involve a ticket number/ID for sure - maybe you want to add another layer with a company ID.

In my case, I’ve created a test connector job and test object to verify since I had trailing 0s in ticket numbers (for whatever odd reason). 

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@vartan.kourshounian A potential solution here is to compose a Rule to write data to either the Zendesk Tickets object or the Case object, depending on which direction you want to take this.

Curiously, if you write to the Case object, you might end up doing one large-scale historic write from Zendesk Tickets to Case, and then your connector will keep all the data updated from there. Admittedly, your mileage may vary.

I’ve found the OOTB jobs in the Zendesk connector can be very particular if you start editing them. When I had a use case similar (albeit not identical) to yours, the recommendation from my Gainsight experts was to use the OOTB jobs to ingest the “raw” data. Then use the Rules Engine to enrich / enhance that raw data into custom objects for transformation, analysis, CTAs, health scoring, etc.