Solved

How do I populate the Manager field in the User standard object?

• 12 December 2017
  • 12 replies

Badge
What's the best way to populate the Manager field in the User standard MDA object?  It's a GSID field type so I can't just populate it with the manager's SFDC ID.

I was thinking of using a bionic rule to merge the manager's GSID with the CSM's GSID... is there a better way?  
icon

Best answer by kunal_bhat 27 December 2017, 16:15

View original

12 replies

Hi Kate,

The Manager field is a Self Lookup Enabled field. When a field has "Enable Self Lookup" checked, it allows you to populate GSID from another record by looking up to one or more fields in the same standard object. This helpful to create hierarchies like in the case of User->Manager.

To ingest data into fields with which are Self Lookup Enabled, you can use the Data Import functionality with type as "Self".

You can find instructions to setup Data Import Lookup with type as Self in the following document under "Data Import Lookup in User Management". https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Data_Management_and_Integrations/Managing_Data_In_Gainsight/Data_Import_Lookup

You can use Gainsight Connect to update your User records with values for the Manager field.

At a high level here's an example of how you could ingest data into Manager using the steps outlined in the above document:

1. You need to decide some condition to decide if a User is the Manager of another User. Say you decide that you'll make this decision based on the email of the Manager. This would be the values in the Email field of you'll need to add a custom field in the User object where you'll ingest the email of that User's Manager.

Say you name this custom field as "ManagerEmail". For a given user Kate whose Manager is Alice, your data would look like:

Name Email                                ManagerEmail 

Kate    kate@example.com         alice@example.com

Alice   alice@example.com         <Email ID of Alice's Manager if applicable>

You can add upto 6 such criteria, and each criteria will need to have corresponding 6 custom fields.

2. You will now need to ingest data into the ManagerEmail field. In the update scenario, this can be done either via Gainsight Connect or the the Load to User action in bionic rules.

3. You will also need to map the Manager field in GSConnect using Data Import Lookup with type as Self as outlined in the document above. In the match by criteria for the data import lookup setup, you would give options as ManagerEmail and match it to Email.

4. If you use Gainsight Connect to load data into ManagerEmail and mapped Manager field at the same, it'll resolve the GSIDs to be ingested into the Manager within the same ingest job. You do not need to populate the ManagerEmail field and then the Manager field separately. 

Thanks,

Kunal
Hi Kate,

In Gainsight,there is  separate page for user management ,where you can either manually enter user details or upload data through csv.

Please go through this documentation once.

https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Data_Management_and_Integrations/Gainsight_Stand...
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Kunal - I'm having similar issue as Kate.  I tried to follow your steps here (though I don't have ManagerEmail, just a Manager field) but not getting any data in the Manager field, so I'm assuming I don't have the import lookup configuration set up right.

I tried this, but nothing was populated.

For grins I also tried Match by Manager -> Manager   and SFDC User Id -> SFDC User Id (neither of which seemed correct, but I'm grasping) and those didn't work either.  

What am I missing?
Hi Jeff,

This particular configuration wouldn't work, the Manager field is our target field and in the Match By options you need to specify the fields based on which you'll decide if a User is another user's manager.

Based on what you've used above it looks like you want that criteria to be the "SFDC User Id" of a User.

1.You'll need to create a custom field in User object which will have the Manager's SFDC User Id for each record. (Along the lines of ManagerEmail, something like "Manager SFDC User ID" for example).

2. You'll need some source data to populate "Manager SFDC User ID". In case of Gainsight Connect, this would mean you have some field in the SFDC User object which can be mapped to "Manager SFDC User ID".

3. You would then map the field in SFDC User object to the "Manager SFDC User ID" in Gainsight Connect using the Simple Mapping.

4. You will also add a mapping for the Manager field in Gainsight Connect using data import lookup. In this case, the Match By criteria would be  "Manager SFDC User ID" -> "SFDC User Id". The rest of the setup would be as per your screenshot.

5. The Manager field should now get populated when you run Gainsight Connect.

Just to clarify, to ingest data into Manager, you'll always need to first create some custom field which will be populated with the data based on which the decision of whether a User is another's manager will be made. You can select 6 such criteria, for each criteria you'll need to a custom field with the corresponding data and add it in the Match By section of the import lookup configuration.

To give you more of an elaborate example with the SFDC User Id field as the criteria, assume this is the data currently in the User object:

"Name"    "SFDC User Id"  "Manager"  "GSID"

Bob          1234                                      100A 

Alice         5678                                      100B

Here the Manager field is empty and you need to populate it with criteria being SFDC User Id. Now we want the User with SFDC User Id=5678 to be set as Bob's Manager. So here we're trying to say "Put the GSID of the User with SFDC User Id=5678 in Bob's Manager field".

To enable the above, we'll create a custom field called "Manager SFDC User ID" and populate it with the SFDC User Id of each user's manager. So now our data will look this:

"Name"  "SFDC User Id"  "Manager"  "GSID"     "Manager SFDC User ID"    

Bob       1234                                      100A                   5678 

Alice      5678                                      100B

Now when you setup the Import Lookup configuration for the Manager field as described above and run an ingest job such as Gainsight Connect import, your data will look this:

"Name"   "SFDC User Id"     "Manager"     "GSID"     "Manager SFDC User ID" 

Bob          1234                        100B             100A                  5678 

Alice         5678                                             100B

Note that you can achieve 2 and 3 within the same ingest run, i.e., you don't need to load data into  "Manager SFDC User ID"  first and then run the ingest job again to populate the Manager field. 

You can use Gainsight Connect if you need to perform Upserts by importing data from the SFDC User object. 

If you want to insert new records and have your data in a CSV, you can use the options in the User Management screen as documented here:

https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Data_Management_and_Integrations/Gainsight_Standard_Objects/Gainsight_User_Object

Thanks,

Kunal
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ok, I'll need some time to think through this one for a bit.  Thanks Kunal...
Badge
Kunal,

Thank you so much for this detailed explanation.  I've decided to set up the derived field mapping in Gainsight Connect to link the users to their managers.  Does this look correct:

Badge
HI Neeraj - I'm using Gainsight Connect to import user data so no need to do the User Management steps here.  Thanks for providing the documentation though! 
Badge
I also used this approach to map the field CSM through a Direct lookup in Gainsight Connect for Company.  This is my configuration:

Hi Kate,

Both of your configurations look good! 
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Kunal - apologies but I'm still struggling with this one.  My setup looks similar to Kate's but when I go to add a Derived Field Mapping it's telling me I need to add fields of datatype GSID.

I created a Manager SFDC ID field in my MDA User table with type SFDCID - should it have been a GSID data type instead?  Looking at Kate's example, hers appears to be an SFDCID sfdcid also.  What am I missing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Kunal - apologies but I'm still struggling with this one.  My setup looks similar to Kate's but when I go to add a Derived Field Mapping it's telling me I need to add fields of datatype GSID.

I created a Manager SFDC ID field in my MDA User table with type SFDCID - should it have been a GSID data type instead?  Looking at Kate's example, hers appears to be an SFDCID sfdcid also.  What am I missing?
Hi Jeff,

You're getting that error since the Manager field is already mapped in the direct mappings section, there's no more GSID fields left to add.

You ned to unmap the Manager field from the Direct Mappings section which will allow you to add the Derived Mapping for Manager.

To unmap the Manager field you need to set the source field as "None" as below.

Once you've done that, you can configure your import lookup for Manager pretty much like what Kate has done.

Thanks,

Kunal