Question

Can we give an ability to connect to SFDC Sandbox from NXT?

• 19 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +2

Hello Team,

Can we give an ability to connect to SFDC Sandbox from NXT?

Here is the use case:
Customer wants to connect SFDC Sandbox to Gainsight Production. Customer's SFDC Production is undergoing some changes and once the work with respect to that is completed, their SFDC production will be exactly same as their SFDC Sandbox now. Then they will connect their SFDC production to Gainsight Production.

Thanks & Regards,

Srikanth

6 replies

Badge +2

Here the customer is facing the issue with Opportunity sync job, rest all are running fine

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Srikanth You should be able to connect your NXT instance with an SFDC sandbox. You need to have your SFDC authorized user also be a user in your SFDC sandbox as well and log in with those credentials. You will also need your SFDC sandboxes custom domain URL.

I haven’t linked our NXT Prod to and SFDC Sandbox, but this does work for NXT sandbox to SFDC Sandbox at least.

Edit: Note, that once you link the two, you’ll want to log into NXT via your SFDC instance to view any SFDC data.

We use NXT via SFDC SSO, my assumption is that your case is the same, but if it’s not it may not work the same FYI.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I would be really cautious about taking a Gainsight NXT production instance through several changes with respect to which SFDC instance that the Gainsight instance is linked with (Production → Sandbox → Production), especially if Gainsight is in active use.

Put another way, though one technically can connect a Gainsight NXT Production instance to a SFDC Sandbox, I would recommend against it until I understood far more about what I was trying to solve with that plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I would be really cautious about taking a Gainsight NXT production instance through several changes with respect to which SFDC instance that the Gainsight instance is linked with (Production → Sandbox → Production), especially if Gainsight is in active use.

Put another way, though one technically can connect a Gainsight NXT Production instance to a SFDC Sandbox, I would recommend against it until I understood far more about what I was trying to solve with that plan.

Very good point, it does seem like an odd use case. I mainly focused on pointing out it is functionally possible but pointing out whether or not you *should* even if you can is equally valuable.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I’m with @matthew_lind on this one. I’d be careful with this. You may run into some serious issues when you pull the sandbox and want to transition to just pulling from Prod. I don’t Gainsight was really built with this in type of use case in mind. Matching a SBX SFDC account record to a Prod SFDC account record may be technically possible from an SFDC ID perspective, but I’d be very cautious with other records. You will need to make triple sure that all your IDs and even then, I would still want to be extremely careful because you may run into some other challenges.

In the past, I’ve run into Sbx refresh issues a lot where GS doesn’t recognize the new sandbox. I’ve also run into connecting GS to multiple SFDC prod issues. They’ve fixed a lot of issues but I’m not sure every use case is fully tested. If you’re doing all of this with your GS prod instance, this is definitely high risk.

Userlevel 5
Badge

If it is a full copy sandbox and you don’t plan on creating any new records what-so-ever in your sandbox environment while connected to it then you shouldn’t have an issue. This seems highly unlikely as others have pointed out.

Full Copy SFDC sandbox brings over all your prod data, including matching the id’s of records in that environment. However, the second you create a record in sandbox it is now on a different path than your prod environment and the id of that sandbox record(s) will never match anything in production. Which when you connect to your prod environment and you sync the new records from sandbox to prod and then into GS you will create duplicates.