Solved

Adoption Explorer configuration

• 19 November 2019
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’m trying to get Adoption Explorer setup and working, but so far no luck.

One question I have that I cannot seem to find in the documention - what do you do if your Weekly Time Series data has more than one Unique ID?

For example, I have a usage data file that contains usage metrics by Company AND Usage Type, so for example if Gainsight were my customer I might have:

Company Name        ID             Date                       Usage Type                       Total

GAINSIGHT                33455      11/12/2019          Logins                                365

GAINSIGHT                33455      11/12/2019          Punches                            724

GAINSIGHT                33455      11/19/2019          Logins                                398

GAINSIGHT                33455      11/19/2019          Punches                            772

I want to make sure that I’m upserting on the ID, Date and Usage Type.

When importing the data via S3 Connector, I have the option of selecting multiple key fields:

But I can’t seem to figure out how to do this in an Adoption Explorer project.

@skalle can you help advise me?  Something I’m overlooking?

icon

Best answer by skalle 20 November 2019, 16:31

View original

11 replies

In Adoption explore, for any given date if you reload data, it is always delete and insert. We do not do upsert operation because the volumes of adoption data can be in large volumes. 

So as long as the source data does not have duplicates, you can directly ingest the data.

On the question if you have more than one unique id (multiple columns as identifiers) , we can treat them as instances and you can then concat all of them into a single column to create unique id and use as instance id.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks for the information @nitin_pawar.  Speaking candidly, Adoption Explorer seems highly complicated to set up and maintain.  I’m not really seeing the advantage of using it over S3 jobs and/or Rules which seem to provide more flexiblity.

It’s a new product and has tons of features which are not available in rules engine. 

If admins have used Rules engine previously, then there is a change of thought process as well as terminologies are required to learn. 

We have seen resistance from admins at first but once we walk them through setup, they get comfortable.

Our current documentation is getting improved and we are adding more examples to it so admins can learn with examples.

We are always looking for inputs on improvements and ready to implement those.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

What you explained about treating the multiple columns as instances doesn’t really make sense to me. 

The way Instance is described in the documentation, it sounds like Instance is akin to a tenant or environment, which makes sense:

What you’re saying, though, about treating the Usage Types in my example as Instances (which is how I understood your recommendation) just doesn’t make sense.  It feels like you’d be forcing something that doesn’t seem like a natural fit. Not to mention adding unnecessary complexity.

IMO you should be able to identify multiple identifiers in the setup, just as you can in Rules Engine or S3 Ingest.  That makes more logical sense.

I also believe you should allow for upsert - just like Rules and S3.  We’re importing the same amount of data today in Rules/S3, which allow for upserts.  Why would Adoption Explorer function differently when it’s the same amount of data?  

Upsert would reduce the likelihood of errantly duplicating records not to mention the impact/effort on the part of an admin.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I would be interested to hear what some other admins think, and if they have had success in setting up AE:  @heather_hansen @manmeet_dosanjh @keith_mattes @angela_domenichelli @sagan_sherlin @anthony_sabato 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I would be interested to hear what some other admins think, and if they have had success in setting up AE: @heather_hansen @manmeet_dosanjh @keith_mattes @angela_domenichelli @sagan_sherlin @anthony_sabato 

We aren’t using it here yet.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I have yet to setup AE, but from reviewing this thread, and being a heavy upsert/rule/s3 user as well, I would expect similar functionality to be available as stated three posts above.  The diversity of interfaces/nuances is complex enough as an Admin, I believe we are all seeking unified functionality across the UI with learning curves with a low slope.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@keith_mattes “The diversity of interfaces/nuances is complex enough as an Admin, I believe we are all seeking unified functionality across the UI with learning curves with a low slope.”  I couldn’t have said it better, Keith!!

@nitin_pawar - I believe you would see better adoption of AE if it provided ingest functionality more akin to Rules/S3 and if it was less complicated to configure.

@darkknight Definitely not suggesting to use instance id in current use case but we already have customers who bring in data with combination of 5 different identifiers apart from company id. These are identifies and not the dimensions. In your case I see it as a normal dimension, so would a provision having a unique row in combination with this/these dimension/s along with date and company id solve the problem of not having duplicate rows? 

To avoid these scenarios, we are working on data preparation before you configure the ingest process where the data correction, quality check and massaging can be done.

On the idea of upsert, we can take a look at it but it slows down the processing by huge margin. FYI, you can currently look at GonG AE project and in daily data we already crossed few million records. I will keep you posted on this.

On the UX, I will see if we can change it to be in horizontal steppers instead of current vertical steppers. I will get the new mocks done and share with the team for feedback. 

@skalle, let us work with UX team on unifying AE UX to be more similar to other products we  have. 

Badge

Thanks for the feedback and one of the key themes we are working on is simplifying  features not just in Adoption Explorer but across our product as well.  While we work to make continuous improvements on this, me  and Nitin are more than willing to work with you to help overcome any initial setup issues. The process also may help discuss with you and be mutually beneficial to identify the specific areas where you may feel we need to do better. Please reach out to us via your COMs or via Support ticket and we will be glad to collaborate on your projects as we believe that setting and bringing data is just the tip of the iceberg and the actual value of Adoption Explorer is the insights that you can get from this data.