Solved

Moving from SFDC to NXT

• 30 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hoping to get an idea on how much change management/retraining you had to do for your teams if you moved from SFDC to NXT.  Anyone willing to share what to expect?  Thanks!

icon

Best answer by gunjanm 1 December 2020, 06:27

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Hey @heather_hansen my team went through the migration in Sept-Oct. The migration generally went well. There are plenty of gotchas to look out for, and my project team had a great retrospect with candid feedback on enablement areas to improve. The biggest things I can say offhand:

• Be clear about the level of involvement you would like to have, as this should help set the expectation with the team on how keen, eager, and detailed you will get as an admin
  • Set expectations internally on the admin freeze you will encounter, where you are unable to make many config updates (~2-3 weeks)
  • Throughly audit every single area in the post-migration pre-launch UAT - beyond the list of user stories the team provides. I was able to identify a few areas that were outright excluded from verification. 
  • Understand the user impact on the team based on their current usage. It’s really more of an impact for admins, less for end users. The two biggest things that impacted users for us was the lack of real-time updates to SFDC and in-built Chatter integration. 

Happy to chat live about it too!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

@gunjanm Thank you so much!  This helps a lot!  The fun part is that we are completely redoing our SF instance right now in addition to starting the project to move to NXT. I appreciate the insight!  Did you do any kind of training with the team once the conversion was complete?  I’m not thinking that much would be needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@heather_hansen if the underlying structure for standard items is going to change between SFDC and NXT, it might make sense to hold off on the migration until you're done with SFDC. It'll just be less of a headache too! We did a one hour session just for basic walkthrough about differences, but the real craziness came in later when the Horizon Cockpit experience was launched. That's the one that has the most impact on end users - forgot about it in the list above just because it was phased in and not directly part of the biggest. Lots of nuances with the adoption there. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That’s the current plan.  Wait for the SFDC roll out, and then, work on the NXT conversion.  Horizon was definitely on my list of needing to train on, but overall, I gave an estimate of less than 2 hours for training on the changes.  Think that’s about right?

@gunjanm 
Can you please elaborate on “lack of real-time updates to SFDC”

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

@gunjanm 
Can you please elaborate on “lack of real-time updates to SFDC”

Since everything was built on SFDC before, we could add fields on the C360 that were the exact same as what is on the SFDC Account, for example, and allow it to be editable in either spot. Since it was the same datapoint, there was no gap in source of truth. 

Now, we have to identify the source of truth for each field and ensure processes line up to control from editing on both sides, identify where we will sync from and to, etc.