Solved

CoPilot Outreaches flagged as marketing by customer

• 4 December 2015
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
We recently received an OOO message from a customer and in the subject line the email was tagged as "Marketing." We've followed the recommended best practices for email design (unsubscribe link, customer name in email, our business address in footer, etc.) to avoid being tagged as spam. Any ideas what might be causing this to happen?
icon

Best answer by sundar 8 December 2015, 14:56

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Thanks Lauren for bringing this up.

I assume that this got delivered to the recipients inbox but got categorized as Marketing emails. Do you have any info on what email server / client they use like Gmail, MS Outlook or IBM Lotus?

Email categorization is a process of organizing the emails in inbox to get focus on the important emails rather spend time in archiving / deleting irrelevant emails. This is spearheaded by Google mail which does a great job of categorizing the email automatically with minimal input from users.

There are other tools like http://www.slidemailapp.com/ , http://inkymail.squarespace.com/ , http://www.sanebox.com/l/upgrade-your-inbox-today/ which does the same job. Does the recipient's organization use any of these tools?
Badge +1
Thanks for your response, Sundar. Unfortunately, I am not able to determine the email server (it's not an obvious address, such as ".gmail"). 
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Lauren,

I have seen this setup in a few emails where the individual user has set that domain to filter into a [marketing] subfolder. When auto responses are generated (at least in outlook and gmail) the folder will be included in the auto-response back. 
Badge +1
Thanks for your response, Steve. So, even though the email would be coming from an individual at Red Hat, the recipient could have set up a filter to flag all Red Hat emails as Marketing. Interesting that the autoreply would reveal this setting - I will be careful with what I name my filters/folders! :-)

Thanks again,

Lauren
Badge
We have had some similar instances of 'marketing ' in the subject line even though we have been careful with white labeling, etc. What worries me is that an email sent to look like it comes from a csm (their name and email address) gets a different result than one that is sent direct from that same csm. It does have a banner and some fancy formatting a plain email wouldn't have. Is there anything else I could be missing?
Badge +1
Hi Elizabeth - 

We just discovered that, while our emails were white labeled, the links within our emails were not. As a result, our emails have been marked as "Marketing" or spam. It sounds like you might already be on top of the link labeling, but I'm throwing this out there JIC it is also causing an issue for you.

Best,

Lauren
Badge
Thanks for the tip, Lauren. How did you white label your links?

Elizabeth

Badge +1
Gainsight will have to provide you with the instructions on how to do that. They worked directly with our IT team to implement it. With the change, you will no longer see "sendgrid" at the start of the link. I hope that helps!