Question

NPS As Part of CSM's Performance Metrics

• 27 January 2017
  • 6 replies

(1) What's the best way to measure NPS as part of CSM's performance metrics using a manager's dashboard or report?

(2) We can set up a report by CSM by month with % of detractors, passives, and promoters as a column chart. Is there a way to get the actual NPS score by month by CSM? 

6 replies

Hi Chloe,

1) We track NPS by Segment & Quarter internally, but a similar concept can be applied to tracking NPS by CSM by Month. We track it in a report similar to how you described in #2. We then screenshot it and include that in our Board deck.

2) Right now, to my knowledge, there is not a way to do the actual NPS by month by CSM to show up on the report. When we do this sort of this internally, we review a % Detractor/Passive/Promoter chart like you described and calculate manually.
Thanks Will!

Do you have a recommendation on whether to measure CSM performance by actual NPS vs the average 0-10 score by CSM (by quarter or by month)? And what would be an appropiate goal / target for CSM? 
If you have enough responses, I would suggest using a standard NPS calculation since averages can be too significantly swayed by 1 or 2 outlier responses.

A CSM can't always control the customers they been tasked to manage and some customers will be unhappy for reasons beyond the CSMs control, so I would recommend setting a goal around NPS improvement, quarter over quarter. If a high NPS is reached, then you could set a goal round retaining that high score. For example, you could set a target of a +5 increase in NPS <or> maintain NPS >30. 
If you have enough responses, I would suggest using a standard NPS calculation since averages can be too significantly swayed by 1 or 2 outlier responses.

A CSM can't always control the customers they been tasked to manage and some customers will be unhappy for reasons beyond the CSMs control, so I would recommend setting a goal around NPS improvement, quarter over quarter. If a high NPS is reached, then you could set a goal round retaining that high score. For example, you could set a target of a +5 increase in NPS <or> maintain NPS >30. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Chloe,

Another strategy you could consider is surveying customers specifically on the quality of service they are receiving from their CSM. At a previous company I managed a team of CSMs and we did this bi-annually. 

We created a sample survey that you can download from Vault to see the types of questions you might ask your customers related to CSM performance: https://jbcxm.na7.visual.force.com/apex/vault?id=2yqenm5okqjo7kmpeajkq4lmq

This is an important dimension, as customers may feel strongly about the company or product, but differently about the CSM experience. Each is a dimension worth understanding further.
Thank you, Will and Dan!