Question

Has anyone rolled our Journey Mapping?

Looking to explore this further and wondering what help content you used to get started, or if you're willing to chat! Thanks!

6 replies

Badge
We have done this informally for quite a while, but have just started doing this formally. The first thing we did was nail down our segmentation. You cannot really make a map without knowing who it is for. We used a variety of factors like industry, number of devices (we are a device management software company), number of platforms they have with us (types of devices), and strategic importance. This breaks them down into one of four core models. From there, we differentiate by our key sub-types of Education institutions and Commercial businesses. We then are planning to make Journey Maps for the first year for each combination (8 total year 1 maps).

We do also plan to have similar maps for years 2+, but are less concerned in that area. Our year 2+ retention is very high and we can have the greatest impact on retention/adoption by focusing on that fragile first year.

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
We skipped trying to wrangle it ourselves, and went right to an expert, Kia Puhm: 

http://www.kiacx.com/single-post/2016/02/22/Your-Secret-to-Success-Lies-Within-Your-Customers-Journe...

I think the hardest thing for us was getting our heads in the game of mapping the [i]experience from the customer's perspective. It's an experience that's agnostic to your product or your processes. "Configuration", "Training", or "QBR" are not milestones in your customer's journey. They are things you do to support the customer in their journey, but they could change dramatically ("training" could be documentation or an in-person week-long workshop) without the journey ("becoming confident in the product") changing at all.
Thank you!
This is great! Seth and Ben, how are you aligning GS technology to this? I am not sure if the term Journey Mapping is a tool or just a process. We use Copilot now for our 1 to many low touch customers, and we use CTAs for our 1 to 1 CSM engagements and track with milestones and success plans. What else are you using?
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
So, we're still crafting our 1:Many strategy, so our only GS alignment to our Journey right now is Success Plans. For us, the Journey is more about having a mental framework for everyone to quickly arrive at a shared understanding of a customer's situation, and a toolbox of plays for an AM to pull from for a customer where they've been able to build a strong understanding of where that customer is at in the Journey.
Thats super helpful, thank you! If you ever want to review our 1 to many strategy let me know!