Writing to Multi-select Picklist in Rules Engine (Tag field and others)

Related products: CS Rules & Permissions

The Rules engine should be updated or modified to support writing data to Salesforce's Multi-select picklists. Gainsight's own native field, the Tag field on Customer Info, cannot be written to correctly with the Rules Engine, because the engine overwrites existing values instead of appending new values. 

Merged Ideas:

by will_watkinson

Sometimes automation, or dataloading is used to insert values into picklist fields that do not exist in the picklist field. It would be useful to have the ability to monitor for and insert values into picklist fields that do not exit there by adding the option to write in when reading from, or writing to a picklist instead of just being able to select one of the available picklist options.

by kevin_ly

There are quite a few customers that have talked about using the multi-select picklist, but was stopped short by it's limited behavior. It gets treated like a single value picklist when any rules attempt to set it.

Also, you are unable to clear or append to it properly.

A use case here, a customer has multiple line items of enabled products, I would like to set the Multi Picklist to say that this customer has these products enabled. Also once one product goes inactive I would like to refresh it with current multi select values. Rules doesn't handle this use case really well with current multi-picklist functionality.

Sure you can use checkboxes, but it gets really messy and not in a neat package. Also Customer tags can't be deleted once added via rules.

Hello all, I’m responding on behalf of the Product Manage. This is being moved to the next year for consideration. Will keep you posted on any further update. 

@Cornelia Any updates? Thanks. 

@shantan_reddy do we have anything to share in this regard?

@anirbandutta Should we merge these?

This is still a problem in Horizon Rules as well, so would love an update.  My current use case - our SFDC team added a new contact role.  Previously, there was a checkbox on the contact object for that role, so I’d like to be able to use Rules Engine to grab all the person records that have that checkbox as “yes”, and add on the new role.  I can’t do that without overwriting the existing roles, and as a contact could have multiple roles, that wouldn’t be a good thing.

Would be great to have an option to ask if you’d like to replace the existing values or append to the existing values.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

The following idea has been merged into this idea:

All the votes have been transferred into this idea.

Thanks Admins for helping identify the related posts, I’ve merged these Ideas, consolidated the usecase descriptions into the idea body of the original post for @rakesh to have it on his radar.