What is the best way to manage our contact information - stored in high volume object?

Related products: None

Due to sheer volume we have to keep our contact information in a high volume database. However, this means we cannot readily edit our contacts. If contacts are merged in SFDC they just stack up in GS with no real way of editing the records. 

Am I missing something? Is there an effective way for us to manage data in high volume objects?

Hi @jochle 

Could you let me know what is the amount of data that you expect to be loaded into the contact information object? Would it cross 1Million records?

Would the records have to be edited manually in Gainsight or would the changes be loaded to Gainsight either with Rules or Jobs?

Thank you

Preethi

Preethi, 

We currently have 483,471 contacts loaded. Our business will continue to grow daily and we are intending to implement two other full business units in the coming year. Based on this, at some point, we expect to cross 1M records.

Currently, if a CSM identifies a new customer they have to add it to SFDC then wait until tomorrow, as our rules run overnight, to send/reference contacts through GS. Additionally, if contact information changes they have to follow the same process.

If contacts are merged in SFDC, there is no way for me to merge the contacts in GS. So the duplicate will always exist.

Hi @jochle 

Sorry, But I had one more question. Are you storing the contact information in Gainsight’s standard Person object? 

If so, the contact details can be edited from the C360 page for each customer.

We also have Apis that you could leverage to instantly update Contact details and delete Duplicates from Gainsight.

The documentation is available here 

Thank you

Preethi

We are storing some of the information there as it aids with how we utilize other parts of GS. However, the information presented on the C360 comes from a custom object. Our CSMs did not like the layout of your person object and we knew long term that it was not a viable solution based on the maximum number of allowable records.

I will look into the documentation on APIs.

Thanks.

Hi @jochle 

The Standard Person object is better modeled to suit the contact-account use cases.

We are working on improving the layout for the Person detail view and this should improve the experience for CSMs. Are there any usability concerns with the existing layout? If so, I will look into them in the upcoming revamp which is planned for mid next year.

Thank you

Preethi

@pgeorge 

They just like the information presented cleanly in a table-like format. It is easiest to consume lots of information that way - which makes sense to me. I want to see as much data possible in one view rather than having to click through certain contacts to get certain pieces of information.

Also, can you confirm the limit for the object is 1M records? Will that be changing?

Thanks!

Hi @jochle 

In the Person section, the attributes that you see in the list view can be configured from the 360 layouts settings page. You could choose the attributes that needs to be set in the list view and in the detailed view. 

Right now the details can be edited in the detailed view and we have in our roadmap to bring in inline edit and improve the experience for the detail view.

I hope this helps. The tablular view for the Person section would help you to see in a clean table like format.

For Low Volume objects the limit for the number of records is currently 1M. After which you would see that there are performance issues with other areas like, Reports, Rules etc. Beyond a limit we would need to run a clean up to ensure that infra is not heavily loaded.

Thank you

Preethi

It is great to hear about these improvements. When this was rolled out to us, there was some vertical side bar where you had to consume the individual data. The tabular view is ideal, but the fields must be editable. I will ask again if we want to move to the low volume object, but knowing in the future we’ll eclipse 1M records I’m not sure they’ll want to go that route.

Thanks!

Hi @jochle 

We will soon be having the inline edit capability in the tabular view as well. Haven't fixed the timelines yet, but the revamp is in progress. 

Since the number of records would cross 1M it would be best not to move to Low volume objects

Thank you

Preethi

@jochle changed this to idea for better tracking purpose.