UI Changes and Improved Documentation on Group Weights

Related products: CS Scorecards

This is specifically regarding the new group weights that were introduced in the 6.15 release documented here: https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/05Scorecards/02Admin_Guides/Group_Weights_and_Exceptions

In an ‘old system’ example, the weight label in the top right of each measure would dynamically change as one or more measure becomes N/A. This allows you to see what weight is actually being calculated in the score.

In the ‘new system’, redistribution only happens at the measure group level if an individual measure becomes N/A, not at the overall score level like before.

HOWEVER, unlike the ‘old system’, the labels in the top right of each impacted measure do NOT change to reflect their current weight. 

As an admin trying to validate the difference and impact between going from one system to the other, this was very confusing. While the lack of label change is passively communicated via the example, this reasoning isn’t explained and it isn’t clear that it is even intentional.

It doesn’t help that the calculation document doesn’t seem to have any update relevant to this change either, and my attempt to validate the re-distribution on the old math seems to have failed (admittedly, this could be user error).

As an end-user, I can only imagine how confusing this would be:

If you’re used to the old system, you’d expect to see the weighting change and really doubt your admins sanity if you asked them why a weight said 20% not 25% and they said “no no, just trust me”. Even if this is your first exposure, if someone just explained to you that the weights rebalance but you saw no change in the weights, you would also probably question someone's sanity. 

If the goal with keeping the weight labels static in this new system is so you can see the defaults, why not include that detail in the mouseover of the weight itself?

The displayed label would dynamically show the actual weight contribution to the measure group, and the mouseover would show what the default was set to if someone needed that information. 

This would achieve:

• Functional parity with the existing system (dynamically showing the weight for each measure)
  • Continuity for admins AND end-users who have experience with the ‘old’ system
  • A WYSIWYG display for anyone brand new to this system so they can immediately see the weights as they’re being leveraged
  • Still gives the ability to see what the original default was

The documentation piece part of this is mostly to improve the existing documentation to explicitly call out that the labels are static and why, but also to ensure that the calculation documentation is up to date as well. Ideally, this will just be changed and the documentation updated with those changes as well anyways :)

Thank you for coming to my TedTalk.

@neelam_mukherjee, @ophirsw 

Brad we need a Gainsight TED talk. lolz I love this. Thank you for going through this in detail. 

@bradley Thanks for the  detailed post.

We will fix this soon to get to parity with the older system and show the redistributed weights.

Regards,

Shantan

@bradley Thanks again for your inputs on this area. This is now fixed with our Oct 22 release. The weight for NA scores in measure/measure group are now redistributed to other measure/ measure groups with scores, in lines with the new group weight system. The documentation for same is also updated. FYI @shantan_reddy @neelam_mukherjee 

No StatusImplemented

No StatusImplemented

Love to see this! Much more intuitive.