TImeline: Allow ability to make Field visibility dependent on another field setting

Related products: None

I’d like the ability to have fields appear in a Timeline entry during creation based on the entry on another field.

For example - I could have a checkbox called Add Sentiment? and if checked, another set of fields would appear allowing end user to set sentiment details.  But if the field is not checked, then those additional fields would not appear.

@darkknight Thanks for bringing this up. We have dependent drop-downs but not the checkbox. We don’t have it in our road-map too, based on other customer interest we will consider. 

@All, please vote here to this request to increase the priority of the road-map.

@sai_ram  I don’t think you understood the purpose of my post.

My understand is that, currently, the drop-down dependency allow you to have a “parent” field and a “child” field and BOTH fields will show on the Activity type.  When you select an option in the “parent” field, the “child” field is automatically populated with a particular value.  Please correct me if I have that wrong. 

What I’m asking for is the the ability to have a “parent” field that would appear on an Activity and the “child” field would remain hidden UNLESS the “parent” is checked or contains a specific value.  Then the user would manually select an option for the “child” field.

Say I have an Activity Type called “Weekly Metrics.” 

I have a “Category” field on that type. 

If I set Category to “On Premise” I want a certain set of fields to appear: “Deployment Name,” “Active Users,” “Ingest (GB)” - but I ONLY want those fields to appear if Category = On Premise.

If I set Category to “Secure Site” I want a different set of fields to appear: “Deployment Name,” “Forwarders,” “License Size,” “Apps Installed”

So the “child” fields that appear on the Activity would depend on how the Category field is set.

Does that make sense?

@darkknight Thanks for the detail description, That’s a valid use-case! We will add this to our roadmap based on the customer’s interest.

Backed!

@sai_ram  I don’t think you understood the purpose of my post.

My understand is that, currently, the drop-down dependency allow you to have a “parent” field and a “child” field and BOTH fields will show on the Activity type.  When you select an option in the “parent” field, the “child” field is automatically populated with a particular value.  Please correct me if I have that wrong. 

What I’m asking for is the the ability to have a “parent” field that would appear on an Activity and the “child” field would remain hidden UNLESS the “parent” is checked or contains a specific value.  Then the user would manually select an option for the “child” field.

Say I have an Activity Type called “Weekly Metrics.” 

I have a “Category” field on that type. 

If I set Category to “On Premise” I want a certain set of fields to appear: “Deployment Name,” “Active Users,” “Ingest (GB)” - but I ONLY want those fields to appear if Category = On Premise.

If I set Category to “Secure Site” I want a different set of fields to appear: “Deployment Name,” “Forwarders,” “License Size,” “Apps Installed”

So the “child” fields that appear on the Activity would depend on how the Category field is set.

Does that make sense?

+1. Yes, right now we have a Parent and Child field Values Dependency. But, based on the input value to a field, display the dependent fields was nice idea.

This is still flagged as Not Planned - is it not planned or is it under consideration?  Would be a valuable improvement.

@darkknight We don’t have an immediate plan to support this as the team is occupied with other High-Priority items, based on the numbers of like we can prioritize.