Template updates for 'Email Assist'

Related products: None

When using 'Email Assist', if I edit the email template, and then add a new CTA using the Playbook that includes that email template, then the changes I made to the template are not represented.

I need to go to the Playbook, delete the Email Task, add a new Email Task using the same email template (which has now been edited), and then set all of the Tokens yet again.

In addition, I would need to find all the currently existing CTAs and replace their Playbooks so that they pick up the new template.

My preferred use case would be that, as soon as I edit the template, it would be used immediately for any Email Tasks that are previewed/drafted after that point.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature request, but filing it under 'Problem'!
Hi Seth,

This is a feature. We have made this choice considering that if a user managing email templates makes some changes in the template, it should not be applied to playbooks unless the user managing playbooks confirms it.

We have given a refresh button (in email task) in playbooks so that you don't have to delete and then add a new email task, you can just refresh the existing task.

Please let us know your views.

Thanks,

Nitisha
Thanks Nitisha -- I didn't notice that 'Refresh' button in the Playbook Task, and that does make things easier. However, I'd still just offer the feedback that this feels unintuitive, since it's inconsistent with how Email Templates work in CoPilot.
I believe the refresh in the Playbook to be an unnecessary step.  I handle both the templates in CoPilot and the Playbooks.  However, if someone else handled the Playbooks, we would have worked in conjunction to discuss the necessary change to the template and inform the CSM teams of the change; so the refresh button is another step that can be easily missed, which would cause issues to arise.
Agreed with the above. I understand this is an older thread, but definitely something I would appreciate a revisit. We are significantly ramping up our Email Assist use. We have a central manager who owns both CoPilot and Email Assist emails, so manually needed to update each playbook task to refresh the template and re-map the tokens is an added step. I would also appreciate avoiding those extra actions.
I could also see this being partially addressed by being able to mass update playbooks -- see: https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/updates-to-playbooks
Running into this issue now where we have 20+ active playbooks with an email task. We recently updated the template to include a survey link but this change isn't being reflected in the playbooks. What would others recommend we do here? 
Agree that this is an issue for us. We are looking for ways to solve this. Would appreciate any ideas.

@sai_ram can we get this turned into an Idea please? This is a MAJOR issue for us. 

End Proctoring-

@gunjanm changed to idea and redirecting this to the product team.

All, we are looking to revamp playbooks in the next two quarters and hope to solve this issue. Thanks.

Please have updates made to email templates propagate, and not force people to find every instance of the email template, refresh it, save it, and then move on.

If I want to preserve the original template, and make changes that only impact some playbooks, I will clone the original, update it, and add it to whatever I actually do want changed and leave the rest as it is.

Having a manual refresh option can be useful as an extra layer of ‘make sure it really updated’ protection but it is otherwise not a feature, it’s an unnecessary annoyance.

The only reason this doesn’t have more votes is because a lot of admins probably don’t even REALIZE that when they change an email template it isn’t automatically updated in playbooks. After all, it IS automatically updated in JO programs (you even get a popup to inform you it will be updated and affect the programs!) If we trust automation to handle the change, shouldn’t we trust it to update even when a user will get the chance to see it and change it before sending it out?

I don’t feel like the original reason for not building this makes much sense either. “We have made this choice considering that if a user managing email templates makes some changes in the template, it should not be applied to playbooks unless the user managing playbooks confirms it.” Perhaps this is outdated because I don’t give email template editing permissions to anyone I don’t trust that would make changes we don’t want reflected everywhere.

The only reason this doesn’t have more votes is because a lot of admins probably don’t even REALIZE that when they change an email template it isn’t automatically updated in playbooks. After all, it IS automatically updated in JO programs (you even get a popup to inform you it will be updated and affect the programs!) If we trust automation to handle the change, shouldn’t we trust it to update even when a user will get the chance to see it and change it before sending it out?

Certainly how I got here :)

@mindym I agree with the use case and understand that the behavior should be similar to JO. This is certainly on the roadmap. I am unable pin point an exact timeframe yet and will post an update once we have the timeframe. Thank you!

This is also a big request. We recently implemented new email templates and applied to several playbooks. As CSM’s wish to evolve templates and versions we are now having to manually comb through each playbook to refresh the email updates to be applied. It is very easy to overlook some of the playbooks which should have the updates applied. This also resets existing tokens mapped. Sometimes we are simply adding new text to the email template and the tokens would not need remapped, but we must take the extra steps in order to apply email template updates. This is a very time consume task.

Hey @sriram pasupathi any updates on this one?  Thanks! To reiterate what's already been said by everyone in this thread:

Please have updates made to email templates propagate, and not force people to find every instance of the email template, refresh it, save it, and then move on. 

Adding PM for playbooks

@monica  - Currently any change made to email template is not updated on Playbook side which has that email template mapped on its side.

Looking for an update on this issue.  Is this currently on the roadmap?