MDA Does not respect SFDC Account Merge

Related products: None

I had an issue come in where a fairly big client that does SFDC Account Merge fairly frequently. In SFDC, after a merge all of the loser Account IDs through lookups in objects gets updated to the Master which is good. However, I found out that the MDA would still look at the old ID making a big chunk of data disappear of reports.

I feel this could be a big problem as we are storing MDA such as relationship scorecards, email logs, and a lot of other things. For the client that had this issue, they didn't even know it was happening.

Kevin
Kevin -

Thanks for raising.  What happens with all of our SFDC objects?  Are there now two Customer Info records (one that used to be tied to loser account and one tied to winner account) once this happens?  
For All SFDC object including ours, the loser's Account ID in the merge will update to the new Master. This happens only if a lookup goes back to account on the object. 

For customer Info, exactly, customer info is left with two records of the same account id, our Data Anomalies picks this up and ask which to merge.
Do you know Kevin if the merged account records or IDs are kept in SFDC somewhere?  How could MDA know a merge has happened?
From my knowledge, old id is gone forever, you can pull an account history, but it doesn't tell you what the old id was. 

MDA will give no indication that a merge happened, records would just sit there unchanged, referencing the old id.
Any updates on this?
This issue has become more prominent since the establishment of the Company object as well as the Activity Timeline object.

Is there any plan to allow MDA to respect SF merges or at least give the customer the power to make these adjustments in the UI?
Hi Team,

This is a missed use-case, changing this to an Idea post and redirecting this to our product team.

Thanks for posting
Hi Kevin/Tom,

Doesn't Gainsight Connect update the winning Company in MDA after the SFDC account merge?

This would still leave the old  "losing" Company records in MDA as orphans but they can now be deleted from the Data Operations UI. 

You would still need to know which ones to delete though. Is this something that could work?

Thanks,

Kunal
I would say yes it will work. For bulk delete I can see someone marking custom orphaned flag  in company and later filter, then delete by that in data operation.
Hey Kunal,

Follow on this. I did this in my dev org and found Scorecard Fact data was deleted with Company deletion, but timeline was still there and would show. Is there something in docs that lets someone know the related records that will be deleted? If timeline is still there then user would need to send a delete request to us still.
Hey Kevin,

You can figure out which records will be deleted based on the Object graph. The lines on the graph will tell you what the operation will be.

Specific to timeline, we'll check if the records can be deleted with a Company delete. Currently the "On Delete" operation is set to None.

Hello Everyone! 

Happy to announce that your request has been considered and included as part of the v6.15 release. Using the new Company Merge feature, admins can merge two records from the Company object and combine their data into a single master record.

This feature is implemented in both SFDC and NXT versions.

For more details, please check the documentation of Company Merge feature here - SFDC edition /NXT 

Thanks for posting!