Structure for dashboard selection on Gainsight Home

Related products: None

After a year of using Gainsight CS, the dashboard dropdown list on Gainsight Home is becoming very long. It would be nice if we could structure that list, for example by adding sections that include similar purpose dashboards.

I think that could be useful. I’ve thought of numbering my dashboards as a way of organizing this, but then not all users can see all dashboards so they might see 2,3,5,8 or something which would look odd. Something that is similar to the dashboard folder structure, but where you can order it would be handy.

@Jef Vanlaer and @bradley thanks for sharing your thoughts here. We are coming up with the new version of dashboard soon. Hope you will like it!

@sai_ram  It doesn't seem like the dropdown will change though, right?

https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/Reports_and_Dashboards/Reimagined_Reporting_and_Dashboards/Reports_and_Dashboards_Overview_(Reimagined_Reporting_and_Dashboards)

I agree that this would be a beneficial addition. Often times there is a need to build variations of dashboards depending on who the target audience is. It would be helpful to be able to structure/group these in a more logical way. For instance, you may have a few variations of a risk dashboard depending on if it’s for the CSMs, CS management, or leadership, but they all fall under the category of risk. 

Hi All,

We are working solving this problem (i.e. the dashboard dropdown list becoming very long). One of the ideas we are thinking of users favoriting the dashboard. You can see how it would look below (Design only for now). 

Coming to the other idea which were expressed in the thread => Ability to categorize: There are 2 potential paths we can take here: 

1. Use Dashboard Folders or Permissions and surface the insights above  (eg Sales category in the above pic)
  2. Introducing another construct called dashboard category (Maybe a 😵 that we can surface above 

Would love to hear any more thoughts on this one.

Hi @rakesh 

These all look like solutions that would contribute to a better structure and easier access to the dashboards for end-users. I think with respect to your 2 potential paths suggested, I am leaning towards re-using the dashboard folders as that would keep the structure the same in both Gainsight Home and the Dashboard builder, making life also a bit easier for admins.

Hi @rakesh 

These all look like solutions that would contribute to a better structure and easier access to the dashboards for end-users. I think with respect to your 2 potential paths suggested, I am leaning towards re-using the dashboard folders as that would keep the structure the same in both Gainsight Home and the Dashboard builder, making life also a bit easier for admins.

I like that idea. It might look a bit different on the user end but it would follow the same structure.

Ideally it would be both solutions. The folders will help logically group similar sets of dashboards together and make drilling down to the right set a breeze. However, with a large number of folders many users will likely still want to have a favorites section so they don’t have to perform the navigation over and over. 

My vote is for option #3 the hybrid 🙂.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Adding to this thread- Support confirmed that the list of dashboards can only be displayed alphabetically. I would love my users to see things in an order of ‘most used’, based on our usage data. Is this something that the team would consider in the future, if not a full ‘drag n drop’ option to order the presentation of the dashboard dropdown for end users?