Reports 2.0: Ability to rename the labels on the Legend of a report

Related products: CS Reports & Dashboards

We have data streams coming in via MDA with names that, while applicable, are not ideal for reporting purposes.

Would like the ability to rename labels on a Report legend. i.e. in attached example, I would like to be able to change "docs-view" to read "Documentation" when I create the report in Reports 2.0.

agreed!  Would help in cases when I'm populating dashboards for users and not having to explain to them the data field labels.
Here here!
Hi There,

On clicking the gear icon of a field in show me or by, you have the option to  change the display name. Does this satisfy your use case?

Thanks!
No it wouldn't.  In this use case I'm showing Views by Page_Type.  The individual Page_Type names are what display on the chart.
Here's a screen grab of the Reports 2.0 critieria to help you see what I'm talking about 

Bumping this one as I've recently had a customer ask the same question. It would help them when preparing reports to audiences who are not familiar with the names of the data tables and instead prefer to see the name of what the data represents.
This has come up for us, AGAIN. I just want to report on whether or not a specific email assist outreach was opened or not.  My labels are 0 (unopened) and 1 (opened).  Seems like the simplest thing and I have to go out of my way to explain to my end users what they are actually looking at.  Tell me I'm missing something.  Or has anyone found a work around?

Hope Mr. Dan Ahrens sees this one...
I like the ask here. I've messaged our PM SME on reports to see if he has any input. 
This is an even bigger need than I realized.   For some odd reason our Months and Quarters in Salesforce are labeled oddly - and I have no control over it.  So anytime I need to aggregate by Month - this is what it will look like without the ability to manually override the row/column/pie labels in a chart/graph.

And I really don't want to have to create a whole new MDA table process to correct this.

We have Custom Fiscal Year values that are set in Salesforce.  Need some sort of an override capability in reports/graphs.

I wanted to circle back on this one, Jeff. Since the aggregations for data in the "By:" (not the "Show Me:") part of the report is grouping by the names of the actual data in the source data, what did you have in mind related to the renaming? 

Here's where I see a potential concern - while you might be able to rename the data labels that appear in the filtered data set (for example, if you are aggregating by month and look back 90 days, you could rename May, April and March to something else) for the current view, since the filters are usually dynamic, you'd have a maintenance headache to make sure any date movement or new fields that appear in that data set don't result in labels that don't have your customizations applied. 

What are your thoughts on that challenge? Any changes to the data sets (or even validation constraints by future admins) would break this custom labeling. 
You raise a really good point.  I guess it would not work as well for reports that shift due to date ranges.  
I was thinking both date ranges and any data set where the values in the column used for the "by:" grouping could potentially change. If you can't control the possible values in that data column then it probably is a bad idea to try and create custom labels. 
Dan - this may need to be another post, but the issue I'm running into here in the example above is because - according to support - our SF fiscal year settings are configured with a Period prefix of "Period."

I'm not sure what that has to do with aggregating a Case::Closed Date, but we cannot change the Fiscal settings (our fiscal months apparently do not follow the calendar month).  

Is there a reason the aggregation has to rely on the Fiscal settings? 
Hi Jeff, sorry but I'm probably not going to be able to help on this one as it sounds like it goes deeper than my expertise. You mentioned that you have a case opened already? Hopefully L2 can provide some guidance.
I did but it was closed because they said it was caused by the Fiscal Year settings. I just don’t understand what correlation Cases have to Fiscal settings.

There is likely an enhancement request here but I will reopen case.
Support came back and determined that if you use Last N Days = 90, it displays MMM-YY, but for some reason Last 90 Days uses the Fiscal settings.

Very strange.
They've added this feature, it's called aliasing!

https://support.gainsight.com/Reports_and_Dashboards/Admin_Guides/Aliases_in_Reports