Report on the Absence of Timeline Activities

Related products: None

My team has recently gone through a coverage model change where they now have new-to-them account that may not have had a CSM before. I was tasked with providing them with a report on customers who have not had an activity logged on their timeline since we adopted Gainsight. I understand the absence of data is tricky to report on, so what I ended up doing was exporting a report on all timeline activities and one on all customers and got the info I was looking for in excel. Ideally, I'd be able to do so in Gainsight, which would enable me to:

- Coach my team on Timeline if activities should be present.

- Provide them with information on which accounts have not been engaged by a CSM and should be prioritized.

- Help me keep our records clean by giving me visibility into inactive, duplicate or incorrect Customers. 
Niki,

We do something similar, but rather than using a report we have rules running on a daily basis checking if there have not been any activities in the last 30 days. If so, we create a CTA for the CSM that owns the account requesting them to confirm reasons for lack of activity or update the account with an activity. Hope it helps.
Niki, a way to make this info available is to use bionic rules and write the output to a field on the customer object. You'd do this by merging all your active accounts with the aggregate number of activities per account and left merging (so even accounts were there were no activities will have a record), then write that number to the custom field to capture the 'number of timeline entries'. Then you could report on this value and filter out any number >= 1.
Thank you, Marcelo. I will employ your suggestion for ongoing maintenance. My absence of data use case is directly related to the coverage model change and recent adoption of Gainsight. So, I wanted to be able to provide a report as a heads up in saying of all your new customers, here are the ones I don't have any activities for. My fear in using CTAs is that they would be noisy as our CSMs have a high volume of accounts. I did complete this exercise in excel, and each individual had between 20-30 accounts that met this criteria.  
Thanks, Dan. I'll give that a try.
Resurfacing this discussion as this is a very common use case. Can the product provide built-in fields on MDA Company object/ Customer info that can track absence of activities in Timeline? 
I actually have a rule that runs every day and checks on last activity posted and if more than 30 days it creates a CTA for the CSM to update the activity. Not out of the box but it is doable.
That's right, Marcelo. This can be done via rules but the use case is so common that an out of the box functionality can be helpful in such a case.
This is for Timeline entries in account but you can do the same thing for relationships

1. Create a boolean field in the company object: say Timeline exception

2. Create a rule that has two tasks:

Task 1. Source customer info: get all the customers

Task 2: Source Activities and Timeline: Get activity id, Max of Activity date and filter on the last 120 days: This rule brings all the customers that have activity in last 120 days.

Task 3: Merge tasks so that all the records from task 1 dataset is brought in.

In action, select load to company object and load true in timeline exception whenever you see activity id = null - these are the records of customers that do not have timeline entry.

Similarly, create another action with the filter activity != Null and set this custom field to true.

Now you can easily create a report in the report builder where the field 'Timeline exception' is false.

Note: with bionic reporting this will not be required but until then, this is the best way to report on absence of activities.

Thank you!

Brand new here so forgive me! 

How can we set a custom date range? 

[Case] I want to create a report for timeline activity (QBR) showing all accounts that have not had an entry for this year or year to date. I don’t necessarily want to action with a CTA yet but want to know what doesn’t have a activity entered for this year.

The ideal solution is to fetch the last timeline date from Activity timeline and push it to the Company/Relationship Object. 

It is essentially just fetching the corresponding object GSID and the max activity date and then loading.

Why is this the optimal solution? This is a common request for a lot of questions. This now gives you the ability to utilize it easily in CTAs/Rules and additionally it gives you the ability to add it to reports on dashboards so CSMs/Managers can easily see who is being neglected as well give the ability to add last timeline entry to the Summary section giving Execs a quick snapshot of last time someone talked to them.

The ideal solution is to fetch the last timeline date from Activity timeline and push it to the Company/Relationship Object. 

It is essentially just fetching the corresponding object GSID and the max activity date and then loading.

Why is this the optimal solution? This is a common request for a lot of questions. This now gives you the ability to utilize it easily in CTAs/Rules and additionally it gives you the ability to add it to reports on dashboards so CSMs/Managers can easily see who is being neglected as well give the ability to add last timeline entry to the Summary section giving Execs a quick snapshot of last time someone talked to them.

Thanks Wayne! Saving this info for later!

Ended up creating a merge in Data Designer to create a report with null values within the designated timeframe and seemed to do the trick for a temporary fix.

we had the same issue and what we did was create a new MDA table via DD that allows us to see 0 timeline entries.  We then surfaced this count of timeline entries on the CSMs book of business report so when they see all their assigned accounts, they can see which ones have had no engagement.