Person Section in C360

Related products: None

Hi All,

We are thinking about a new 'Person' section in C360 / R360 where you can view and manage (add/edit/delete) all the external people in the context of a customer. Some of the features we are thinking for this section are:

End User Functionality:

• See and edit person’s information such as Name, Email, Title, Location, Phone #, Social media links. Edit some of the information inline.

• Ability to create a new person.

• Option to view people in tabular as well as in an org chart view (by identifying another person as the reporting manager). 

• Users should also be able see other tabular views of people based on reports configured by the admin.

• See last touch point / activity from any person (e.g. NPS Response, Activity from Timeline)

• Capture notes / comments for any person (e.g. Group Leader, Willing to give a video testimonial or be a referral etc.)

• Eventually the Sponsor Tracking feature would work on top of this section. 

• Take actions for each person such as sending an email.

• Health scoring at Person level.

Admin Configuration:

Enable / Disable Person

section for any C360 / R360 layout.

Ability to select reports

that can be viewed from Person section in a Layout.

Configure what fields will

be shown in tabular & org chart views of the section.

Need your inputs on the following:

• How useful will this feature / section be for you? What do you think is the most useful functionality among the ones listed.

• Any other specific functionality that we should think about while building this section?

• Which of the above mentioned functionality would make sense for you at a Person level (Person360) vs. Person in the context of a given customer. 
All this functionality may not be available at one go. Your inputs would help us in prioritising our effort correctly. 

Thanks!

Rajesh
Rajesh,

I would be really interested in this functionality. A couple of qustions:

1) Would this add / edit the contacts back in Salesforce?

2) For relationships, will the contacts be related to the relationship? Today we are doing something similar in which we define an attribute that ties the contact to the relationship object in Salesforce.

Looking forward to how this functionality develops...

Marcelo
Rajesh,

My team has been using sponsor tracking heavily.  These are the features that would be most valuable to us:

• See and edit person’s information such as Name, Email, Title, Location, Phone #, Social media links. Edit some of the information inline.  We would also like to make sure that we are able to pull data from the Salesforce contact and configure that within the Gainsight person profile.  It would be great to customize the field name in Gainsight to something that is different from what is in Salesforce.

• Ability to create a new person.  It would be great if that would create the contact back in SF as Marcelo recommends.

• For my team, the org chart view is more important than a tabular view.

• The activity from timeline/NPS would be valuable, but not as important as the items above.

• The ability to take actions like send an email is less important.  As long as the email appears on the Gainsight contact profile, we can quickly send emails to that person.  If you are envisioning a scenario where we capture each email that is sent to a contact and store that information in Gainsight, that is not as important to my team.

• Health scoring at the person level is not as important to me.  I think the NPS scoring at the person level is probably enough insights.

Like Marcelo and Myles, I would use Person only if it had a tight integration with SFDC Contacts. Without that, Person records become an additional source of truth that Contacts has primarily solved for.

Perhaps one question to consider: What would Person functionality accomplish that SFDC Contacts does not?
Thanks Marcelo. Following is the response to your questions:

1) Yes. This would add / edit the contacts back in Salesforce. Would it be ok if there is a slight delay (couple of hours) for this to happen?

2) Persons can be associated with Relationships. We would allow the association based on any of the attributes of the person.
Myles, Thanks for the detailed feedback. The field names in Gainsight can be different from what they are in Salesforce contacts.

Bi-directional sync between Salesforce and Gainsight would be possible. Are you ok if there is a slight delay (couple of hours) for this to happen?
Hi Matthew,

Often data comes

from outside sources and it is difficult to manage the data with Contacts alone

and as a result, it is hard to get a clear picture of all of the data that

connects about a single person. Here are some scenarios where Contacts don't always work

include:

• People may play

roles that cut across multiple contacts. e.g. if someone is a contractor and

works for several of your customers or if they move between jobs, the Person

model is designed to let you connect the data (including contacts) together.

• You may not want

to have every single person you ever interact with (e.g. every user of your

product) in Salesforce Contacts

• You need an

extensible way to track fact data about a person that comes from an outside

source. e.g. login info and external IDs across other systems, alternate

contact info, etc.
Person model works at 2 levels. Person in the context of a customer (Similar to SFDC contacts) and an independent view of a Person.
This is great! I'm adding a link to a post I made recently that I think fits into this thread: https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/edit-field-360-report
Hi Rajesh,

I spoke with my team and we all agree that this functionality would be really useful.  In response to your points:

How useful will this

feature / section be for you? 

• VERY useful - as long as it did not create an additional record for CSMs to manage (sync between SFDC quickly)
What do you think is the most useful

functionality among the ones listed.

Being able to add/edit user records

(and have it sync back with SFDC immediately or almost immediately)

Take actions for each person

(sending an email)

Any other specific

functionality that we should think about while building this section?

Designate contacts as specific

types of users (for example, we have some users who are named administrators for their accounts, which gives them access to open cases)

Email Opt Out control

Can Gainsight specific fields live side by side with SFDC fields (without having to be added to the SFDC object)?  For example, we might want to include on the Person section "Conversation Details" but we wouldn't want to add this field in SFDC.

• We can see the use for this at the Account level - is that possible?

Which of the above-mentioned

functionality would make sense for you at a Person level (Person360) vs. Person

in the context of a given customer. 

• I don't think we have a strong use case for having a separate Person 360 at this time.

Thanks! 

Kate
Interesting direction.

- Can you provide more examples of the differences between a Contact (in SFDC) and a Person?

Also, the example about sub-contractors that work with many customers is relevant to us, but I'm not sure how this functionality will help with it.

- Is there 1:1 relationship between a Person and a Contact?

- Can users see a list of both - i.e., 1 section in c360 that shows Persons and Contacts.

- In general, we have a stronger need for an org.chart / power map functionality. As mentioned in this post - https://community.gainsight.com/gainsight/topics/which-apps-are-gainsight-customers-using-to-visuali...

Thanks,

Einat
Hi Einat,

Thanks for the comment. Here is the response to your queries:

Can you provide more examples of the differences between a Contact (in SFDC) and a Person?

The modelling of Gainsight’s Person model is being done on the lines of a Person in real life. A Person can usually be associated with multiple companies (Company-Person) / relationships (Relationship-Person). Contact in SFDC is equivalent to Company-Person in Gainsight. Multiple Company-Persons can map to a single Person. 

Also, the example about sub-contractors that work with many customers is relevant to us, but I’m not sure how this functionality will help with it.

You will be able to get the overall view of the sub-contractor in the form of Person and at the same time get a view of sub-contractor at company level in the form of company-person.

Is there 1:1 relationship between a Person and a Contact?

Barring few exceptions, there will be a 1:1 relationship between SFDC contact and Company-Person. Association between Person and SFDC contacts can be 1:M

Can users see a list of both - i.e., 1 section in c360 that shows Persons and Contacts.

Company-Person (and there by Person if doesn’t already exist) can be created by importing SFDC contacts. You will only be able to see the list of Company-Person in C360 that can include Company-Person records created from SFDC contacts. 
Hi Kate,

Thanks for the comment. Response to your queries:

• Can Gainsight specific fields live side by side with SFDC fields (without having to be added to the SFDC object)?  For example, we might want to include on the Person section "Conversation Details" but we wouldn't want to add this field in SFDC.
[Response] You can create custom fields in Gainsight Person / Company-Person objects where you can sync information from SFDC. You can also create any other custom fields that do not exist in SFDC object. You need not add these fields to your SFDC object.

• We can see the use for this at the Account level - is that possible?
[Response] Yes. Company-Person is at company/account level where as Person is global and will have records from across all companies / accounts.
Rajesh,

We definitely need this.  We manage usage at the end user in our customers and some of our customers have 1000's of end users.  We get user usage data via Users and Events in segment.io.  End users are able to buy upgrades on their own, so we potentially have accounts at the end user and customer company level.  For this to work in Salesforce, we need a contact/account for every end user.  We are mapping that to Company Person in Gainsight.  I'm assuming that this scenario is the driver for your 360 feature.

Another thing that is problematic for us is using email as a unique identifier.  We have multiple external IDs and users can have more than one product and may not use the same email address in each product.

Finally, we aggregate user usage data into the Company and then Company Hierarchy.  Some of this we put back in Salesforce at the Account so that sales has exposure to penetration within an account.  We can do this today with Bionic rules, but I want to make sure you have this tracked, as Account Hierarchy is really important to the way we score accounts.
Having the ability to allow our CSMs to update contact data in the person object in Gainsight and have it sync to the Contact object in Salesforce will keep our CSMs more in Gainsight as opposed to switching back and forth and would help us drive greater adoption of Gainsight in our organization.
Yes, a slight delay would not be a problem.
Hi Tim,

This ability is already there now - Person Section in C360 allows CSMs to update the Person data using inline edit functionality in the Detail view. You can even add a new person. Here is the link with support documentation. 

Rules Engine could be used to update this data back in SFDC Contacts.

Thanks,
Do you have documentation on how to configure the rules to update this information in SFDC?
Hi Tim,

We don't have documentation on how to configure this specific rule just yet, but I'll try and outline the steps out here.

1. Navigate to the Rules Engine page -> Click on the settings gear icon in the top-right corner -> Click on Permissions - Rules Load Actions -> Select the Salesforce object you want to update and add all relevant fields (presumably the Contact object).

2. Go through the flow for creating a new Bionic rule. You'll be prompted to start with creating a new Dataset Task.

3. Select the "CompanyPerson" matrix data object. The object will have fields such as SFDC Account ID, SFDC Contact ID, as well as lookups to the Person and Company object and hence access to all fields from Person and Company to be used in the source dataset.

Here's a sample view of the dataset task you would create.

4.  Select the "Load to SFDC Object" action choose the Contact object. You can now select the Upsert/Update operation and map fields you want to update. 

5. The identifier would usually be SFDC Contact ID (which would be the "ID" field in Contact). It could vary based on your implementation of Contacts in Salesforce.

Hope this helps! Do reply if this didn't work for you or you need further clarification.

Thanks,

Kunal
Thank you Kunal - we'll take a look!
"Take actions for each person such as sending an email." - THIS IS A HUGE NEED FOR US.