Open CTA Status update via rule engine to another open status

Related products: CS Rules & Permissions

In our Org we have CTA's that are triggered off of triggers in SFDC and when a CSM completes the CTA they manually change the status to Closed or Work in progress. The issue here is that a CSM can mark the CTA completed and if the trigger in SFDC doesn't get corrected (via our product syncing with SFDC) the CTA will be recreated the next day.

I have created new workflow for the CTA status's so that we can get more visibility into the actions taken from our CSM team and ensure they are getting credit for CTA's that are actually completed (no more duplicates) as well as visibility into our accounts that have canceled based off of what actions a CSM took.

The only issues I have come across is that we cannot auto update an open status to another open status via rules engine (can only be done manually via Mass Edit), and we are unable to change the Default closed status check box to any specified status (only able to select closed status).

If we as admin's had the flexibility to have the rules engine change an open status to another open status (similar to how it changes to a closed status) that would take an extra task off. Also if the Option in the call to action workflow for Default closed status was more customization to just be default status and give the ability to choose any status that would be a huge help to the CSM team in this situation.

Here is our use case on the status flow:

• Create CTA

• Status = New

• CSM calls on CTA & Completes CTA

• Status = Completed

• **This status isn’t a close status**
      • D3 Syncs with SFDC [list]
      • If CTA trigger = True [list]
      • Status = Closed Successful
      If CTA trigger = False
      • Status = unchanged
      • We want this to be on CSM’s radar
      30 Days go by
      • Status = Attempting to Contact
[/list][/list]

• CSM call on CTA & Discusses CTA but unable to complete the CTA on that call

• Status = Work in Progress

• D3 Syncs with SFDC [list]
      • If CTA trigger = True [list]
      • Status = Closed by WIP
      If CTA trigger = False
      • Status = Unchanged
      30 days go by
      • We don’t want these to stay in Work in Progress after so many days because they aren’t being worked anymore, we want the CTA to go back on the CSM’s radar
[/list][/list]

• CSM calls on CTA and feature is denied

• Status = Feature Denied

• This isn’t a closed status be we don’t want this CTA to continually be created if it is closed
      180 days go by
      • Status = New

• CSM calls on CTA and they get no answer, left VM, no contact with DM

• 60 days go by

• Status = New
CSM Calls on CTA that doesn’t have a SFDC trigger (NPS/Testing CTA’s)

• Status = Conversation Completed

• Auto close rule will change that status to Closed Successful that night

• Account Cancels

• If status = New

• Status = Account Canceled
      If status = Work in progress
      • Status = Canceled WIP
      If status = Completed (Reference top, this is a false CTA completion)
      • Status = Canceled False Complete
      If status = Attempting to Contact
      • Status = Canceled Attempting to Contact
      If status = Denied
      • Status = Canceled Denied Feature
Hi Mark, I am trying to get my head around your situation.  Can we start with why you are creating CTAs with triggers?  Our design point is to use the Rules Engine for this.  Do we have a gap that prevents you from doing that?
Hi Karl,

Sorry, I may have used bad terminology there. The trigger is the SFDC field that will cause the CTA to be created.

For instance, there is a field in our SFDC if a customer has emails turned on so the CTA trigger is if that field is false or null.
Ah, ok. I see.  I am starting to get the picture. 🙂  Very cool scenario actually.  You want to keep the CTA open until the outcome of the action is known and then either revive it or close it in a way that lets you report on the outcome.  I have a bit of a worry that having all those open CTAs around will become burdensome for the CSMs. I will connect with the relevant GS dev team on the potential to add that flexibility to the CTA manipulation via Rules.  There are a number of requests for various items like this and we need to take them up.  Still, best case will be after the first of the year so I want to think about potential other approaches for now.  Will let you know if I have any brainstorms...
Thank you!

Its basically a status flow that will place CTA's into buckets and enable the managers to keep an eye on the actions that the CSM's have taken instead of duplicated CTA's. It will also lets the CSM's know what actions they've taken and if the status hasn't changed they can now have more visibility into the accounts they've reached. 

Currently if a CTA is closed successful by the CSM and the action wasn't completed on the account then the CTA will be recreated the next day in the new status. That CTA is now lost in the mix of all the other CTA's for that CSM. With the automated status changes the CSM can have reports on everything they're working and reach back to the customers to get the actions completed.
Yea.  Totally makes sense.  One question: I can see why you need very precise control over status from RE in order to pull this off.  What I don't see is why you also need to modify the default close status. When does that come into play in your design?
That is because the default close status is the feature that the CSM uses to quickly mark the CTA closed successful.

Some accounts have 4+ CTA's on them and in one call they may be able to close each CTA. Instead of clicking on each CTA to change the status they can easily change the status by clicking the box on the left of the CTA and quickly move onto the next. Currently we can only choose a closed status for the check box, where in my scenario the CSM will never actually close the CTA (the RE will take the necessary steps to close it if it falls under the correct criteria).

So basically if we had the flexibility for that check box to change the status to a different open status (in this example it would change the status to Completed).
OK.  Got it.  So you want them to be able to 'close' the CTA without it actually closing.  I see the point.  Again, I think we need to be careful about the user experience where someone thinks they closed the CTA but it still shows up under Open.  In any case, I get the use case in detail now and will discuss with the team.  Thanks. 
I completely agree. this scenario is using it more like a quick status change to the most commonly used status. Eliminating the term "closed".
Just a quick update:

The new workflow is working beautifully! I had a few hiccups at the start and ended up re-engineering all of the rules we had but now the process is flawless. We have way better clarity into the actions the CSM are taking and due to the status changes we have also been able to identify some errors in our SFDC instance to get resolved.
Great news!  Can you share the details?  How did you do it?
Ofcourse!!

So what I did was separate all my create CTA rules and close rules and set up a chain rule for each type of close. To give a little more context, we have a total of 19 different CTA's and I bundled each rule into a chain that will execute early in the morning for the creation of the CTA.

For the close rules I have Closed by Architect, Closed from WIP, Closed Successful, and Closed for Cancelled Accounts. Each one has its own separate rule and each is combined with each separate CTA type for each status.(I wasn't able to get the rules to work correctly having multiple actions within one rule).

What we have found is that it has been a huge help for the management team stay on top of the CSM's for CTA's they are marking "Completed" that haven't closed. The managers have had a lot more coaching opportunities and we haven't had a single duplicate CTA show up since the change.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can elaborate on.
Congrats, Mark.  Well done.