Notifications: Enable Admin control for all users to default to Salesforce

Related products: None

In NXT it appears that the only way to set users to receive notifications that direct them to Salesforce is either

• End User manually setting the “Allow me to view my notifications" to Salesforce
  • Admin manually assigning Enable preferred Notification-SFDC one user at a time. 

This is terribly inefficient.  We should have an admin flag to auto-set all users to default to “Preferred Notification - SFDC”

Relates to 

I can get behind this as we have more and more needs for non-CTA “Alerts” to our users and the current mechanism is as @darkknight stated. Could we find a way to mass enable “notifications” for CSM’s and auto-follow the accounts they are assigned to? 

tl:dr More admin control of notification settings for users and ability to mass “follow” accounts based on assignment

@darkknight possible already if you login via SFDC portal:

Thanks @gunjanm but that’s not what I’m talking about.  I’m talking about an admin setting that will enable the default preferred notification to be SFDC (without either the user OR the admin having to manually set it on each user) - so every time a new user is Synced to Gainsight from SFDC it will automatically inherit the default notification setting to SFDC

Any thoughts on this idea @nitisha_rathi ?

@nitisha_rathi May we please get a response on this? I have over 2000 users and I’m playing whack a mole with users getting notification links to NXT when we authenticate via Salesforce. (Supposedly my migration team had all existing users set to SFDC but that turns out not to be the case.) We need to be able to auto-default all users to SFDC edition without having to do it manually or set up a rule to do it for us.

While we’re at it, the default setting should also apply to Rules Engine emails.  These emails are hard-coded to login via NXT direct.  I should have the option to set it to Salesforce so that the rule links log me in through SFDC. @nitisha_rathi @minh_phan 

Welp. Turns out you cannot even do this via a rule because the Preferred Notification field is non-editable.

I have HUNDREDS of users who don’t have the Preferred Notification set to Salesforce.

Why does Gainsight make everything so difficult for Admins to maintain?

@darkknight Sorry for the inconvenience. If a user is synced via Salesforce connector (and had a SFDC avatar) then the default config for notifications is Salesforce. If a user is added via any other way then it is defaulted to NXT. Would this information help you? Are your users coming in via connector?

@nitisha_rathi Typically yes our users are synced by SFDC connector (I don’t find anywhere in the documentation that the default is SFDC if synced via connector.  Seems like an important thing to call out.), however we had a migration from SFDC edition to NXT.  

Additionally - this shouldn’t be an option end users can select - it should be admin controlled so that all users are functioning in the same way for consistency and security purposes.  At a minimum, I as an admin should be able to turn off the end user’s ability to make the switch. As mentioned I have over 2000 users and growing and variances like this get very unwieldy.

We do not and will not ever have our users login directly via NXT.  We should have the ability to lock that down and make everything point to SFDC.

@darkknight We will add this info in the documentation, thanks for pointing it out. I understand your point. We will make this change based on the number of customers asking for it. Thanks.

Hello All,

We have updated the info shared by @nitisha_rathi in our documentation. FYI @darkknight 

I have the inverse problem, we sync all our users from SFDC but we use NXT for GS and I want the default behaviour for users to be that they are sent to NXT when they receive an email. 

Also to add even more frustration I can’t even set the individual level preference from NXT, I have to go to SFDC and change over to the Gainsight App in order to do it. 

Generally user settings are SOOOOO spread out across Gainsight it’s crazy. I also have to opt everyone in individually to Sally and Inbound Emails - why can’t these also have a default setting (or at very least be set by permission bundles)..

@keith_mattes I’m thinking your comment deserves its own post! Let’s make it an idea 🙂 We’d love the ability to adjust the default settings for users to follow companies they’re assigned to.

I have the same issue as @HollySimmons with the inverse of this issue. My users are defaulting to having their notifications open in SFDC, but not all my users use Gainsight in Salesforce, causing them to open to an error page. They don’t have AppExchange permissions, and so now these notifications are useless.

How do I get my users, who are added via SFDC connector, to have their notifications open in Gainsight by default? If I can’t, how do I adjust this as an admin to ensure the notifications open in Gainsight?

Does this not cover the use case? 

Admins can set login preference to Gainsight NXT to see Gainsight Notifications received through an Email. This is applicable only to the Gainsight NXT customers connected through Salesforce Connector. Gainsight NXT can be accessed either through Direct Gainsight Login or Salesforce Login. Earlier, the access preference to Gainsight for Email Notifications was not stable and is well defined now. Below are the two types of login preferences for Email notifications:

• Enable preferred Notification-NXT: When users click any hyperlink in the email notification, the system will redirect them to access Gainsight NXT through Direct Gainsight Login, where users need to enter their Gainsight login credentials to access the notification details inside the Gainsight application.

• Enable preferred Notification-SFDC: When users click any hyperlink in the email notification, the system will redirect them to access Gainsight NXT through Salesforce Login, where users need to enter their Salesforce login credentials to access the notification details inside the Gainsight application.

Gainsight email notifications notify users that a new CTA was assigned to them, they were mentioned in an Activity, a Success Plan was assigned to them, they received Survey Responses, etc.

Also, users can set their preference to access Gainsight NXT for email notifications from the My Settings > Notifications > Channel Subscriptions page.

Note: If a user is synced via Salesforce connector (and had a SFDC avatar) then the default configuration for notifications is set to Salesforce. If a user is added via any other way then configuration for notifications is set to NXT.

To set the login preference to Gainsight NXT to see Gainsight notifications received through Email:

1. Navigate to Administration > User Management.
  2. Select Salesforce from the Users dropdown menu and select the required Salesforce Connection.
  3. Select the required users. You can see that the Context menu is enabled.
  4. Select one of the following options from the Context menu:
    • Enable preferred Notification-NXT
    • Enable preferred Notification-SFDC
  5. Click Yes to confirm the notification preference.

From: https://support.gainsight.com/Gainsight_NXT/01Onboarding_and_Implementation/Onboarding_for_Gainsight_NXT/Login_and_Permissions/01Gainsight_User_Management#Admin_Settings_for_Login_Preference_to_Gainsight_NXT_to_see_Notifications