Milestone Rules - Note Formatting

Related products: None

Currently, if you create a milestone from a rule, it just puts everything into a large text block. It would be great if you could do formatting. It would also be helpful to create a timeline entry that can be something other than a “milestone” type.

For example, we have a timeline milestone created when a new Account Plan is created/ updated in SFDC. We would like the formatting to be like below so that it is easier to read, but instead everything is put into one massive paragraph.

${Updater_Full_Name} updated ${Changed_Field} for the "${Plan_Name}" on ${Update_Date}.

Account Plan Details:

Account Goals: ${Account_Goals}

This Account Will Renew If: ${This_Account_will_renew_if}

30 Day Plan: ${Thirty_Day_Plan}

90 Day Plan: ${Ninety_Day_Plan}

365 Day Plan: ${ThreeSixtyFive_Day_Plan}

@andreammelde  This should be possible today you can format it like below. 

@sai_ram  if we are importing using a rule though it does not keep the formatting of the original field

@andreammelde got you, redirecting this to our product team. 

@andreammelde I confirmed with product team and formatting should work here. I am redirecting this to our support team to check the configuration. Our support team will get back to you on this. 

any updates on this?  I didn’t know that you can create a milestone activity entry from a rule.  Looking forward to trying it out, but formatting would be very helpful as well.  Also creating other types of activity entries - such as EBR from rules would be great (since they are logged to salesforce, not to Gainsight typically).

I have just come across the issue of lack of formatting on the milestone activity.

I’m unsure if this is a bug or if formatting simply is not possible in the notes area. See below example of the notes field when unformatted. 

When configuring the rule, it’s possible to use return breaks and bold areas of text, however when saving the rules, anything configured it not retained.

Rule config window - below

I have a feeling that formatting is not meant to be possible as the UI is a bit limited. The text box can’t be resize, and only resizes if you do a return break.

I do hope it’s possible to format in future as I can see this being a useful enhancement to the Timeline.

I contacted support and have been told by the support person the following;

After checking internally came to know that they are simple text fields and we are not supporting rich text editor in the rules.

I still think the ability to push some data into an Milestone is a great feature and super useful, however I think that it’s only suited to small amounts of data and not large swathes of unformatted text.

For my current use case, I’ve shifted the URL into a field simply for the readability of the Milestone activity.

Super smart @liam_nicholls!  Going to steal that.  😀