Mass Edit custom CTA fields

Related products: None

I just added a checkbox field to CTAs, called "Action is Optional". (Some CTAs are generated as FYIs for the CSMs, and it's not expected that they would close them. I want to give them a very easy way to filter their Cockpit, without going so far as to create a separate CTA Type for "Risks that you don't need to act on".)

I'd like to update this checkbox on the existing CTAs. Mass Edit would be great for this, except it doesn't allow you to edit custom fields on CTAs. I'll have to use DataLoader, which is unfortunate since it's a pain.

Thanx!
Can you write a rule to do it?
Jeff beat me to it by a few minutes, but I was thinking the same thing. While I realize it's not the specific functionality you are looking for, it sounds like you have a one off need to update some existing CTAs (and future CTAs will have this value set by the rule that creates them), right?
Rules only Create or Close CTAs, right? Well, or I could do a Load to Salesforce. But now we're flirting with roughly the same amount of work as DataLoader 🙂 And we're making the case that Mass Edit doesn't need to exist at all... 😛
Exactly right on what I'm looking for, and yup, I've updated the Rule that [i]creates the new CTAs to set that custom field. (The only related speed bump is that I'm not able to set that field as Read-Only in CTA Configuration, since doing so removes it from Setup Action in Rules. I have a support ticket that was just escalated to L2 to check on whether that's expected behavior, and, if so, if there's a recommended workaround.)
Mass Edit allows you to delete records (except Milestones) - Rules Engine doesn't.  And I'm grateful for that.

However, I figured you could Load to SFDC Object -> Call to Action, but that isn't showing up for me in Permissions - Rules Load Actions.   Dan - do you know why that object isn't selectable?
I believe you have to be a SFDC Admin to set which SFDC objects can be loaded to via Rules. Do you have SFDC Admin rights?
I can see other SF objects like Case, Account, Opportunity, etc.  I cannot seelct those fields because I don't have SF Admin rights to them and they haven't been enabled for me to write to them, but they are at least accessible.

Call to Action doesn't even appear in the list.  Neither does CSTask, or apparently any other Gainsight objects.
I think this might be where the issue is arising from:

The option to Load to SFDC Object or MDA Subject Area is sensitive and falls outside of Gainsight and into Salesforce admin areas. Only Salesforce Admins will have access to determine what objects the rules engine can load data to.

https://support.gainsight.com/Product_Documentation/Rules_Engine/Admin_Configuration/Use_Rules_to_Lo...

So it looks like your SFDC Admin will have to open permissions for those objects. 
I have Gainsight Special privileges and I can see and select ALL the Salesforce objects except the Gainsight SF objects. 

No, I can't select any of the [i]fields - that requires SF create permissions set on each object - but if I can see Contacts, and Opportunities, and all the other SF objects then I would think I should be able to see the non-MDA Gainsight objects too unless Gainsight specifically restricts that for some reason.
FWIW, I am both a Salesforce Administrator and in the "Gainsight Admin" Permission Set, and I also cannot see "Call to Action" or "CSTask" in the "Permissions - Rules Load Actions"
Hi All,

Hiding Call to Action and CSTask from Load to SFDC was intentional, reason being we already have Create CTA action that loads data to CTA.

We do have a plan to let Admin select what all fields can be updated, but thats still in Ideation phase.

Regards,

Hitesh
Hi Seth,

To answer your Question, yes its expected. Any field marked as Read only will be hidden from Rule Engine (similar to how it behaves when we manually Create CTA)

Workaround: Make the field editable so that its visible in Rules Engine (same as what you are doing now)

Quick Question: How often will there be an need to Update field thats marked Read Only in Admin ?

Regards,

Hitesh
Thanks Hitesh!

Would it work fine if I made the field not read-only, then added it to the Rule, then made it read-only again? I want the Rule to be able to set the field, but don't want our CSMs to be able to edit it.

I can't say that I have a pile of other use cases to offer, but I would say that it [i]seems like, in many cases that an admin would want to set a CTA field as read-only when being displayed, they would want to be able to update that field [i]themselves in a Rule.
Hi Seth,

Rules Engine always reads latest information from Cockpit Admin, so i would have to say No to that. 

I will discuss this with PM & team, and will update you if this gets added in roadmap

Regards,

Hitesh