Making custom field non editable

Related products: None

I am working on a low volume custom object that will act as a way to submit a request to SFDC. I want to have a field where I write a rule to populate the ID created in SFDC for a foreign key, but I want to make sure the field is not editable. How can I update the settings in data management to make a custom field read only?

The only way I can think of is by checking “Hide in Reporting”, but this would also hide it in Rules Engine, i.e. not allow you to write to it. What/how would it get edited as per your concern?

@gunjanm  we have it as a low volume object and a report on the C360 so that the CSMs enter in records as though it is a form. I have a couple fields that I do not want the CSM to fill in. Granted - if they do it will overwrite later but it could cause confusion bc they do not need to edit the fields when entering a record

For more reference - the fields they fill in are indicators if the form created a record in SFDC so that we can track using a foreign key to the SFDC record

@andreammelde I’m not too sure in that case, unfortunately.

End Proctoring-

@sai_ram  can this be changed to an idea since the current functionality is not available?

On CTA layouts we can add fields and set some to be non-editable. This would be the same kind of functionality, but the admin can set at the actual field level which gives us much more control and security on our data

@sai_ram  can this be changed to an idea since the current functionality is not available?

On CTA layouts we can add fields and set some to be non-editable. This would be the same kind of functionality, but the admin can set at the actual field level which gives us much more control and security on our data

@andreammelde changed to idea and redirected to the product team. Thanks!

Anything new on this? It does break some of our processes to allow users to edit certain fields from our low volume object records.