Make it possible to enable Features with out them being licensed

Related products: None

There are some features our company uses that are optional within their paid licensee user. We want to keep track of which of the features they have enabled without marking them as licensed for reporting reasons.
I think this is a great use case for Tags, Brittany. You can create Tags for each of the features and apply them to the customers that use them. We also added a Tags column to our Customers tab, so we can easily see which customers have specific Tags.

Check out this information and see if it fits the bill.

How to Use Tags:  https://support.gainsight.com/hc/en-us/articles/207882547-How-to-Use-Tags

Configuring Tags:  https://support.gainsight.com/hc/en-us/articles/202403087-Configuring-Customer-Tags
Thanks for sharing the use case, Brittany. You can also look into using our Features section on Customer 360 to track this.

Thanks for this suggestion. We were really hoping to be able to see what they have enabled and what they have not, and with tags it would become a bit cluttered/overwhelming for having yes/no for each feature. We have a rather large list of them as well.
Manu,

This is exactly where we are trying to use Features in the way I was asking about in my first comment. If you check Enabled, it automatically checks Licensed and you can't uncheck Licensed without it also unchecking Enabled 😞
Thanks for the inputs Brittany. We will review this further.
Thanks Sidhu.
Hey Brittany, I just ran into the same problem with another client wanting the same thing. 

The work around I am using is to have a standard 'N/A This feature is not being used' comment to be pushed to each feature. Having a comment displays the feature whether something is checked or not.

If you choose this route you will also need to do some rule logic as to not overwrite previous comments made/keep appending new comments. Which will basically be looking at customer features and if comments = null and feature enabled = false and feature licensed = false push this comment. If you need more guidance on this let me know.
Wayne,

Thank you for this suggestion.

Since originally creating this post, I had come to a similar work around, but one big issue I had was in building rules for not having a feature with the action of adding a comment similar to 'N/A This feature is not being used.' When creating this action, the rule would continue to keep duplicating the comment until the character limit was reached for criteria fields we were using that didn't have date associated fields. For those with date associated fields, we could correct this error by making the rule only apply to accounts where x happened the day before. 

I'll try to filter to accounts where comments = blank, but I think some of our source data lies in 2 different areas (Customer Features and Account) so we can't make the two speak to each other. 

I'll give it a try though!
Wayne,

I think I figured it out! Sent to Chris Sanderson to double check my work for me. I think this solves our problems! Thanks for your help!
Sounds good, if you need any further assistance let me know.
Second work around!

This only works if your company only does features automatically through rules.

Before you have your rule that runs to update the current features based on whatever criteria you have you can have another rule that baselines all features to unlicensed and not enabled. This will get them to show. However, if you click edit on the c360 page to update a comment it will go back to not being shown until the next day.

Then you have your rule go through and mark the features that are relevant. 
ooh Wayne!

This could definitely be useful. 

So every night this baseline rule would set everything back to unlicensed and not enabled, but then the positive rules would just revert it back to the status it should be?