Lookup on Standard and System objects from Custom objects

Related products: None

Hi team,

We often create custom objects to bring together data from multiple standard/ system objects for various customer usecases.

For example, to merge data from Timeline and SuccessPlan together. In these cases, we are pulling all the required fields from both Timeline and SuccessPlan objects.

Instead, if there’s a lookup on to these objects based on the GSID field, we can  pull the required fields based on the available lookups.

Our custom objects and rules become very compact if GSID is utilised fully for cases like these.

@phaneendhar_lingam Most of our Standard objects are Low Volume objects.

Look ups are allowed to standard objects but the data volumes should match.

Can you let me know the standard objects you are trying to create lookups from and the volume type of your custom objects?

I’m targeting success Plan, Call to Action, Scorecard Fact, Timeline objects - I’ll be using GSID as the lookup field. 

I’m targeting success Plan, Call to Action, Scorecard Fact, Timeline objects - I’ll be using GSID as the lookup field. 

@phaneendhar_lingam Thanks for the update! we are looking into the feasibility. I will update you here once I hear from product team. 

@phaneendhar_lingam  what is the volume type of your custom objects?

Hi @ssamarth - These sorts of custom objects are mostly of high volume.

@phaneendhar_lingam Look ups are allowed between custom & standard  objects if the data volumes match of both.

@phaneendhar_lingam did you get a chance to view the comments here?

Hi @ssamarth - from an implementation point of view, this is a helpful feature.  The volume of data that we handle is relatively lower (at least when compared to traditional relational databases) so it shouldn’t be a problem.