Linking URL's in reports

Related products: None

When running an opportunity report, it would be beneficial to be able to link to the opportunity just like all Account Names are linkable/clickable off account reporting. In SFDC, the one upside to having our reporting there is the ability to have clickable links to the various opportunities, products, etc so that a CSM can take more actions straight from a report.

I thought I saw something about Gainsight working on allowing URLs in reports for certain objects, is this still the case?

I'd like to vote this up as well. We've had lots of user stories for linkable items to SFDC objects, especially opportunities.

Hi Ky,

URL data type support is currently only available for MDA objects in reports. I think if you wanted SFDC records to be clickable hyperlinks in reports, you'd need to load the records to a custom field (w/ URL Data type) in an MDA object.

One thing you could do is add a HYPERLINK formula field to an sfdc object and add it to GS reports you're creating.

For a give object, the formula would look something like this:

HYPERLINK("https://your_domain_here.my.salesforce.com/" & Id , "clever_field_name_here" )

The hyperlinked field will display in GS reports as a link and take you to the linked sfdc page.

Different use case, but here's an example of a HYPERLINK formula field in a GS report:

**this particular field pictured just links to a quick survey for our CSMs to give product feedback on behalf of their customers at any time.

Hello:

I ran into this similar issue last week - confirming I was able to build a hyperlink formula directly from the object and it works great. However, because it’s a URL field type, I am unable to group the new custom field.

Are there any updates on being able to group reports by URL field type? I believe this request is on a few other community threads, but figured I’d start here to see if there was any updates.

Thank you!

Best,
Joseph

@josephcrawford sorry for the inconvenience, I will work on it and get back to you. Thank you.

Hi All,

I’ve converted this to an idea. Do upvote it if you want this feature. 

I understand that this would be helpful. However, my understanding is that this hyperlinks only works for SFDC classic edition, not lightning.

Hi All,

I’ve converted this to an idea. Do upvote it if you want this feature. 

I understand that this would be helpful. However, my understanding is that this hyperlinks only works for SFDC classic edition, not lightning.

@rakesh Not sure if this is applicable here, but you can get lightening URLs to work. You just need to make sure the URL is set up properly. I used Concat() to make one for a JO program. Namely you need to use the lightening pathway as well as force it to open in a new window with target=”_blank”. If you don’t force the link to open in a new page/window with lightening it won’t work.

Concat(<a href=,
https://yoursfdcdomain.lightening.force.com/lightening/r/object_name,
Object_ID_Field,
/view,
” target=”_blank”>,
Display Text,
</a>)

HI

I am  using below URL to open new window in report or C360 layout but it does not work.

Can you plz advise?

Concat(<a href=",https://lightning.force.com/,Record ID, target="_blank", ”>,Link,<,/a>)

@Syed added my reply to you here: 

+1 to the request, it would be good to have automatic recognition of a url, or the ability to convert a string to a url field with the use of a formula field.

That being said, @bradley’s explanation of converting the opportunity ID to a URL and wrapping in an ahref is working as of Dec ‘22.

In DD I took the following steps:
Grab your data including the 18 character Opportunity ID and the Opportunity Name

Add a transformation:
Use case fields for the following:

Helper field one: string with:

<a href="https://yoursfdcdomaininsertedhere/lightning/r/Opportunity/

Helper field two: convert your Opportunity ID from an ID field to a string

Helper field three: 

/view" target="_blank">

Helper field four: 

</a>

Save, and create another transformation from the above transform

Add formula field > string > concat

HelperField1, HelperField2, HelperField3, Opportunity Name, HelperField4.

Note, this will show as a string when viewed in the DD explorer, however when the dataset is made universally, when the field is viewed in Report Builder it will show as a hyperlink with the Opportunity Name.

In reporting, its not possible to concat more than 2 fields using formula field to convert string to hyperlink.

Any workarounds?

Thanks a lot in advance.