Let Super Admins Have Ultimate Control over Timeline Entries

Related products: None

Currently a super admin has no control over timeline entries, only the creator of the timeline entry has the ability to edit. This presents a big problem if the timeline entry is erroneous or forward looking (expecting of future edits) and the CSM originator of the entry leaves the company or is otherwise unable/unwilling to edit the entry. The timeline entries can be super helpful for reporting purposes, but to maintain accuracy of reports there needs to be the ability to edit these entries (by a super admin, or at least re-assigned to current CSM). 

That’s 100% correct. I’ve run into this as well when you want to clean up some test data or any timeline entries who were created in error. I like to keep my environments clean and its quite cumbersome to delete some bad data. 

If a CSM leaves and you need to adjust the timeline activity, the only way to do it is to login as the user. In the SFDC version, you can log in as the user on the User table. But there’s no easy way to do this within Nxt without first having to update the user’s login credentials and then login as the user to make the change. 

Having to log in as a user is definitely not an ideal situation from a security perspective.

This is a common request.  ^ has 34 votes already (from 2 years ago)

@CurtisValentine and not every GS admin is also a SF admin (esp in larger enterprise environments) so those on SF edition are left hanging...

Timeline entries created by a User should be editable by both the user who entered and the admin. We use the NXT version and have SSO enabled, meaning we have no ability to login as the user in our production environment as it is controlled by our corporate registry.

@darkknight - very true. Especially in large enterprises. Voted for the idea.

+1 vote from me too @darkknight and @CurtisValentine 

@gunjanm - you would probably like this idea as well. :)

We understand the need and plan to deliver in short-medium term.

This is absolutely necessary as a product feature. CSMs can leave with no warning, with COVID they can actually be hospitalized or worse, die. The fact that admins cannot do any sort of clean up really damages reliability and adoption of Gainsight as a tool for leaders, managers and CSMs. 

@alisapagerduty I completely agree and have run into this situation recently. 

@nitisha_rathi any update on this?

We are running into skewed metrics due to a former employee having unresolved timeline entries (we use a checkbox to indicate when an escalation event is resolved). This functionality would be very helpful for us. Thanks!

@taylorklekamp We understand the importance of this feature but has not been picked up until now due to other items. We are discussing this item, once I have clarity on the timeline will update this thread.

+1 on this.

Yes please! We just ran into this being a HUGE issue when trying to create milestones via the rules engine. You are NOT able to set custom multi-select picklists on timeline activities via the rules engine, and a timeline created by the Rules Engine is technically created by “System Administrator” and cannot be updated to populate this fields.

I’d take any of the following options:

1. A Super Admin can edit any timeline entry
  2. A Super Admin can edit timeline entries created by “System Administrator”
  3. Any user can edit timeline entries created by “System Administrator”
  4. Any user can edit any timeline entry

You’ve got my vote!

This feels like a permission that:

• Super admins and admins should have edit rights on all timeline entry (including those created by ‘system admin’)
  • Select power users (assigned a ‘timeline edit permission’ ) should get edit rights on all timeline entries (including those created by ‘system admin’)
  • Timeline entries created by a user should have that ‘created by’ tag updated to whichever user is reassigned a former user’s accounts and CTAs (similar to how Gsuite handles user transitions for files, recurring meetings, etc.)

Timeline entries should absolutely be able to be edited by other users without having to be re-assigned to a new owner.

Ability to edit timeline entries would also be helpful with the issue identified in this idea: 

which is bedeviling our CSMs. If I as an admin could edit all timeline entries, it would eliminate a lot of back and forth on email and Teams.