Inline adding of screenshots in Timeline Activities

Related products: None

Hey there!

A colleague of mine had the idea, that it would be amazing to be able to add screenshots in line while creating a timeline activity. This would be amazing to establish a connection between text and images, so it would be crystal clear which screenshot goes with which paragraph of the text.

Cheer!

Tim

Hi, This is on the short-medium term roadmap.

This would be a very nice improvement indeed. It would also come in very handy in the Summary Section of the C/R360.

Has this been picked up by GS for the roadmap? This came up with my CSMs today and as far as I know this still isn’t possible within Timeline

Has this been picked up by GS for the roadmap? This came up with my CSMs today and as far as I know this still isn’t possible within Timeline

This bothered me as well but it seems this may have recently changed.  I tried it just now and was able to past screen snippets into timeline entries on NXT.

@timellis I’m not sure if I’m missing something or not. I tried the same thing but can’t get the screenshot to appear in line with the text. You can add it as an attachment, but copy+paste doesn’t work into the description. There is no option to add image in line with the text. We are in NXT as well.

Yes, currently, that option is not there. We will look into this and will update once we prioritise it.

@timellis @Jef Vanlaer @dan_kenner Could you be able to give us some scenarios or use cases when you would like to add an image inline instead of attaching it?

@timellis I’m not sure if I’m missing something or not. I tried the same thing but can’t get the screenshot to appear in line with the text. You can add it as an attachment, but copy+paste doesn’t work into the description. There is no option to add image in line with the text. We are in NXT as well.

It seems to work for me on the C360.  My environment is NXT, Chrome, MacOS.

Yes, currently, that option is not there. We will look into this and will update once we prioritise it.

@timellis @Jef Vanlaer @dan_kenner Could you be able to give us some scenarios or use cases when you would like to add an image inline instead of attaching it?

Being able to see screenshots etc. as you’re taking notes in a meeting is critical.  Attaching them separately loses sequencing and context of where they are in the meeting.  Also, I like to take screen shots of participant lists in a webex meeting and paste them in to meeting notes for easy reference.  It’s not practical to open up a separate attachment do do that.  Think of what a user who is taking notes in a webex/zoom meeting might want to be able to do - that’s a primary use case for me.

Completely agree with the points made by @timellis . Also, an image says more than a 1000 words, so having the images visible on the Timeline notes will make it a lot easier to scan past activities for interesting points.

I think I figured it out!  The image only saves if you put some text BELOW the image before saving it.  The image doesn’t save if there is no text below it.  

@Jef Vanlaer @timellis Thank you so much for mentioning the use cases. Currently, we do not support it but we are looking into building a proper support of adding images inline. We will post an update once we have prioritised this.

@soumitrasahu @Jef Vanlaer @dan_kenner I have it working so I think this may be an undocumented feature :wink: There does seem to be a strange quirk however to get it to function properly: you need to include some amount of text BELOW the image before saving it for it to save properly.  If there is no text below the image, the image disappears without any type of error notification.  Please give it a try and let me know if this works for you as well.

@timellis That seemed to work, though copy+paste doesn’t work still. I can only drag in the image once it’s saved on my desktop. This isn’t a huge deal just something I’ll need to clarify with our CSMs.

Thanks again!

@dan_kenner copy+paste works for me but only via right click (not keyboard shortcut).  I’m using a Mac and Chrome browser so I use (cmd+ctrl+shift+4) to do a screen snip and then right click on the timeline entry to paste it. 

Using images seems to be a basic requirement. Without this ability notes are terribly incomplete.

@soumitrasahu any developments on this track?

@Richards @anirbandutta This is in our roadmap and we will update the dates once we prioritise it.

@soumitrasahu - Last update was about a year ago. Do you have anything new to share on Gainsight’s plan to add this feature?

@soumitrasahu - Last update was about a year ago. Do you have anything new to share on Gainsight’s plan to add this feature?

I’ve been using this feature almost daily.  I can take screen snips and paste them in the body of timeline entries inline with text.  See my comments above for instruction.  What specifically are you looking for GS to add?