Include "Current and Next X" and "Current and Previous X" filters in Horizon Reporting

Related products: None

With the move to Horizon reporting some very important filters have been “depreciated” which makes some reporting now impossible. 

In old-style you can choose from lots of “Current and” options; 

This is particularly useful for financial reporting and forecasting, e.g. show me all customers renewing this month and next month. 

But with the move to Horizon those options are no longer available, and instead there’s just Last X or Next X, which excludes the current X. 

E.g if I chose Next 2 Months, I see August and September, when what I want is July and August;

WIthin Report Builder it is possible to achieve what we want by adding two filters and OR’ing them together, but that doesn’t work for global filters on Dashboards. 

These are really important filters to have available, PLEASE bring them back. 

@HollySimmons sorry for the inconvenience. If those are missing in Horizon reporting then it should be a bug. I will check and get back to you. 

@sai_ram it’s also missing in Renewal Center. I brought this up on a call a few months ago with the product team but not sure what came of it. Just noting it in the hopes that if it gets restored in HA that the Renewal Center filters get the same love. I do know for renewal center they added a ‘Next 120 Days’ option for time based filters - just not sure if there is any plan for system wide continuity on how date filter options work...

Hi Team! Checking back on this, was it considered a Bug and if so is it getting fixed? It would be great to have the flexibility back that was removed from Horizon Dashboards. Thank you!

@rakesh any thoughts on this one?

We’re preparing to migrate to HA next week and I’m very disappointed to see that this date filter preset is no longer available. Can someone provide a status update on this?

+1

@rakesh - is this something that we can bring back since it existed in the previous version of reporting?

Hi All,

We had 64 literals in the old reporting - a lot of which are not needed/add to the complexity. Imagine scrolling through those values to find the right one - especially if you have not yet built the memory. In Horizon Analytics we have rationalized it to 35. As a part of it we consolidated a few literals into one literal with options. (Example: LAST_7_DAYS,  LAST_20_DAYS … LAST_120_DAYS can be achieved with LAST_N_DAYS). 

However, as we did this exercise, it was a known factor that some literals cannot be simplified directly - like “Current and Next X" and will need 2 different filters. We checked the data on how many such filters are configured across all our customers in production and based on how (in)frequently these literals are used, we decided to not rebuild those. The gap that is asked on this thread is basically that.

But with multiple upvotes and the usecase with Global Filters, we plan to also add support for the “Current and Next X", “Current and Previous X" literals for Month, Quarter, Fiscal Qtr, Year and Fiscal Year respectively. However, I also want to add that this will take some time since these changes are quite fundamental and will impact multiple product areas. 

This is essential for us and with the deprecation of the old Dashboards scheduled for January Gainsight will no longer be a tool we can leverage successfully if this is not made possible in the new dashboards. I don’t understand how you can deprecate the old dashboards and reports without ensuring that this functionality is included in the new versions. Additionally, this should have been proactively flagged to the handful of customers that do use these literals so that we weren’t surprised when they disappeared. Companies operate on fiscal quarters, while these may be under utilized filters by Gainsight customers they are highly valuable, with far more operational value than filters like last 30 or last 90. Without this functionality we will be forced to use Salesforce for reports and dashboards and we will very likely leave Gainsight as a customer, as working in two systems to get what we need defeats the purpose of having Gainsight. 

This is essential for us and with the deprecation of the old Dashboards scheduled for January Gainsight will no longer be a tool we can leverage successfully if this is not made possible in the new dashboards. I don’t understand how you can deprecate the old dashboards and reports without ensuring that this functionality is included in the new versions. 

:100: At a minimum, communicating to your customers when the plan is to deprecate a function.  But agree that this is still a function that is needed.

“However, as we did this exercise, it was a known factor that some literals cannot be simplified directly - like “Current and Next X" and will need 2 different filters. We checked the data on how many such filters are configured across all our customers in production and based on how (in)frequently these literals are used, we decided to not rebuild those. The gap that is asked on this thread is basically that.”

@rakesh  Gainsight has a lot of nooks and crannies. Not everyone knows about all the possible configurations and features, and maybe they simply haven’t deployed them yet. Frequency of use != Importance. Regressing features that are in use and admittedly cannot be ‘simplified directly’ is a disturbing choice for the longevity of the platform. 

What @bradley said...

Circling back here -- has anyone found a workaround for these filters in Dashboards? I can’t add a second identical filter to a dashboard in order to get Current + Next. It really feels like I’m completely out of luck here to do any sort of dynamic date filtering in a dashboard if I want to see a Current and Next timeframe….

Circling back here -- has anyone found a workaround for these filters in Dashboards? I can’t add a second identical filter to a dashboard in order to get Current + Next. It really feels like I’m completely out of luck here to do any sort of dynamic date filtering in a dashboard if I want to see a Current and Next timeframe….

AFAIK there is no workaround that can replicate the same functionality. We will have to wait until the “current + next” and “current + previous” constructs are restored. 

THANK YOU for bringing these back in the latest release. 

+1 to what @bradley and @darkknight said though, it’s still worrying they were removed in the first place and that decision was not communicated...

Glad to see this back in CS, though disappointed to see that the updates did not make their way to Renewal Center.

Glad to see this back in CS, though disappointed to see that the updates did not make their way to Renewal Center.

Thanks @rakesh and team for getting this one covered. Fyi Brad and Holly’s latest observations.

Thank you @rakesh and team!! :grinning: