Improve Parity between Data Designer and Report Builder

Related products: None

Hi there - I’d like to see better parity between Data Designer’s report builder and the normal report builder. I believe this post is an evolution to this one FYI 

A few things I’ve noticed are lacking in Data Designer’s reporting tool that are available in the regular report builder include: 

• Ability to drill down. I’m surprised this doesn’t exist already, but I can’t drill down into bar charts, pie charts, etc.
  • The functionality to drag fields into filters does not exist like it does in report builder.
  • The settings aren’t nearly as robust (can’t re-order things, or re-name axes, etc.)

I know I can just configure the data design and report on it, but sometimes I’d like to keep things confined to data designer, and these limitations are keeping me from doing that in certain circumstances. Thanks for considering.

Also, with the ability to create and publish a report in DD (assuming the design has been published) you don’t get as much benefit if you push it from DD then have to tweak it in report builder anyways.

Agreed -- I often find myself dragging fields up to filters only to remember the functionality is slightly different 😅 If I had to prioritize which features I’d like to see parity on first, it would DEFINITELY be the the ability to see a drill down.

@All

Data Designer and Report builder are different in one sense - Reports build in explore part of Data Designer are only accessible there, mostly only limited to admins.

We do want to close the structural gaps - drag and drop behavior, etc. so that its uniform. However, we can only make it close, not the same. 

@spencer_engel Can you explain a scenario for this:

but sometimes I’d like to keep things confined to data designer,

Why do you want to keep things confined to DD? What are those scenarios? Are you the only consumer of such reports or do others see? If they do are other people also Gainsight admins?

Yeah, there are scenarios where I’m the only consumer (perhaps another admin or two), and I don’t necessarily want to create a whole new MDA object when I know I won’t be placing said reports on a dashboard.

Yeah, there are scenarios where I’m the only consumer (perhaps another admin or two), and I don’t necessarily want to create a whole new MDA object when I know I won’t be placing said reports on a dashboard.

Especially because published Data Designs are classified as system objects so we can’t exactly delete them.

Edit: It seems now that if you unpublish and delete your design the object goes away, which seems to be new?

Question here as I’m working on a few designs -- am I also not able to rename a design? I have a design that has not been published as a dataset, I’m still just exploring, but it looks like I can’t rename it. 

Edit - found it, but in the spirit of this post for having parody with report builder, I think it could have been a bit more intuitive! :) 

Adding my plus one to this in terms of improvement opportunities in Data Designer.  Specifically, data designer doesn’t have the ‘Chart Editor > Data Labels’ option - the result is inconsistency in the how the charts appear on a Dashboard depending on whether they’ve been created in Report Builder or Data Designer.

Hopefully this would be an easy, and quick win for the Dev team to implement!

A big thing I missed in my original post is the ability to export from Data Designer. Linking to this post: 

I can’t +1 this again, but another area where there is not parity is wrt formula fields.  In Report Builder there is the option to create a formula field by adding or subtracting days/weeks/months to a field, however in DD options only exist for units of days and weeks. Hopefully an easy resolve for the dev team 🤞 

+1

Voted! Adding my two cents: