Improve Data Designer to Allow URL back to CTAs

Related products: None

It appears that data designer somehow strips away the URL feature to some fields like Call to Action Name, Success Plan Name if those objects are included in the data design. 

For example, I created a data design and brought in the Call to Action and User Object.  Merged both objects with the fields I wanted, one of which was the Call to Action Name. 

I created a report and applied it to a dashboard.  The report shows the Call to Action name, but it’s just a string text and the URL has been stripped.  As an end user, I cannot click on the Call to Action name to take me to that CTA.  I would now have to copy and paste the Call to Action name and search it via cockpit.  WOOF :(
It really kills adopting new reports designed via data designer bc the lack of functionality overshadows the innovative data gathering via data designer 

Hi @andorfuhrer  

I understand the concern here. There are 2 distinct problems here:

1. Gainsight relies on Mappings to identify these special fields. Data designer automatically inherits the mappings if you bring in both id and name after expanding the + icon. Example if there is an Account Owner field that looks up to User, do not check Account Owner, but expand Account Owner and check the GSID, Name fields from User object. 
  2. In SFDC edition of cockpit, due to a technical limitation, we hardcoded the hyperlinks and not relying on the mappings (SFDC Cases, CTA and CTA Group objects). These will be an open gap till we can figure out a solution here. 

That being said, assume we provide a way for you to create a hyperlink in a formula field, will that solve the problem here?

If we can create a hyperlink in a formula field and allow users to get to the CTA or Timeline entry, that would be wonderful.

+1, it would be super helpful if we could create a URL field with the Formula Field ability.

+1 would be great to have the hyperlink to Timeline entries and/or CTAs when creating a report out of  data designer

You can do this today by performing a concat and building out the html tag. It does require you to create a calculated string field on CTA object where you are performing an upper on gsid.

Part of the URL

Fields

concat (<a target="_blank" href="cockpit?ctaId=gsid 2, " class="gs-text-honour-space">, Name</a>

Your concat will look wonky and as if some values are blank when you save it but it works.

+1 here- it’s odd that this happens to local Gainsight objects, but for external Salesforce objects in Data designer, the html works… huge gap

Is there any update on this, or is it just not possible to have a link to the CTA in SFDC edition?

Hi @andorfuhrer  

I understand the concern here. There are 2 distinct problems here:

1. Gainsight relies on Mappings to identify these special fields. Data designer automatically inherits the mappings if you bring in both id and name after expanding the + icon. Example if there is an Account Owner field that looks up to User, do not check Account Owner, but expand Account Owner and check the GSID, Name fields from User object.

Does anyone know how to provide a clickable link to an activity (it seems there is no name field available on the object activity timeline)?

Hi all - this is possible in data designer today.

I have a data designer fetching Call to Action data and merging with GS Opportunity data, in my report builder the CTA Name shows as a clickable URL.

I include the CTA GSID in my fetch and final data set. Perhaps that’s what is allowing this to be possible?

@matthieuland 

Does anyone know how to provide a clickable link to an activity (it seems there is no name field available on the object activity timeline)?

You would use the field “Subject” -- that is the Name field!

Hi all - this is possible in data designer today.

I have a data designer fetching Call to Action data and merging with GS Opportunity data, in my report builder the CTA Name shows as a clickable URL.

I include the CTA GSID in my fetch and final data set. Perhaps that’s what is allowing this to be possible?

Did you have to do anything special with the GSID for the merge? I have the Success Plan GSID in my fetch and final data set but it still doesn’t have a link. Thanks for any help on this!

I just brought in the CTA GSID and it provides a link now. I don’t even have the GSID in the Show Me portion and it works.